Christmas lights and things at Castelton

cheers everyone for yours replies i can remember going there as a kid with my little lantern lol:hihi: every year i though it was great doubt it will still be the same or have the same effect on me now as it did back then but will defo be going now i know when it is lol.

We went last year and the year before. There were folk dancers, mummers, a farmers' market, Santa on his sleigh, crowds of people and all the shops open.

We were in the Castle Inn when the countdown started for the switch on. The Christmas tree in the Castle Inn restaurant was switched on via a socket in the wall, attached to an exterior cable. We were lucky enough to have the table nearest to it and, with one of my mates hanging out of the window to make sure we got the timing right, we illuminated the Castle Inn.

I'd recommend it to everyone - the switch-on seems to get better every year. Get the 1 pm ish 272 from Sheffield. Spend a couple of hours looking round the market, watching the dancing and doing some shopping. At about 4 pm, have a drink and a meal in the Castle, the George or the Nag's Head. Join the crowds at 6 pm for the lights and get the bus home at about 7 pm.

A brilliant afternoon out for the whole family.

• 2 weeks later...

The lights will be switched on by Steph Fearon (from BBC's Over the Rainbow) at 4.30pm approximately.

There's also Santa's Grotto next to the Bulls Head on the main road - my daughter LOVED it last year!! Best part is, they get a pressie from Santa, most amazing thing ever for a 3 year old!!

Archived