Opinions on the latest Wikileaks revelations please.

Aren't the latest leaks relating to torture by US servicemen?

The documents corroborate allegations that the US military handed over prisoners to the Wolf Brigade who are the 2nd battalion of the Interior Ministry's special commandos.

The Wolf Brigade was created by and supported by the US to try and re-employ elements of Saddam's Republican Guard to terrorise insurgents.

Acids, chain saws, hacksaws, electrodes, electric drills, etc were commonly used to torture prisoners. There is much evidence of prisoners being tortured and then executed...all with the full knowledge of the US commanders on the ground.

The documents also paint a very different picture to that painted in the offical account of the raid on the city of Samarra...and the large scale offensive on the town of Husayba in 2005.

I'm not shocked by these revelations. I'm not shocked or surprised by what a foul thing is war.

What I do find worthy of comment is the fact that one of the lame excuses frequently trotted out by the apologists for the war was that we had to remove a tyrant...a tyrant who tortured people and executed them.

The most disquieting element for me is the apathy shown by the response to this release of official documents...on here... and in the media generally. :huh:

I may start another farting thread...at least it'll go to 6 pages plus. :suspect:

I can only shake my head at this comment. Do you know anything about the site? I only ask because you give no qualification. :)

I know as much about the website as the media company who did the research in the report about it; that's where the statement comes from.

The most disquieting element for me is the apathy shown by the response to this release of official documents...on here... and in the media generally. :huh:

That's concerned me too. There are more comments on the coverage on The Reg:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/23/wikileaks_releases_four_hundred_thousand_iraq_war_docs/

The U.S. Government say the latest revelations are a threat to the lives of serving personnel...and the ConDems agree.

I would venture to suggest that they are more a threat to the credibility of both.

What are your thoughts?

Best form of defence is to attack, or to obfuscate the real issue by re-directing attention on to other lesser issues. Which seems to be what the authorities are trying to do here.

Archived