Hillsborough disaster, where were you?

it was a sunny day i was on my back garden..at the time i was living just off herris road when fleets of ambulances was running back and forth

I was inside hillsborough that day with my late nephew,we didnt get in there till about 2.45 south stand..leppings lane end. The first thing we noticed was the outer pens at the Liverpool end were very empty ..i actually asked if they had sent some tickets back and we also saw loads of fans outside the pubs on the way down cos we commented on it .

I have my own opinions on what happened that day and there was blame on both sides,nevertheless it is absoloutely tragic for the familys and people that lost their lives at a football match and i cant imagine how they would ever get over it... you could argue about who was to blame for ever and a day but that would solve nothing ime afraid

I was inside hillsborough that day with my late nephew,we didnt get in there till about 2.45 south stand..leppings lane end. The first thing we noticed was the outer pens at the Liverpool end were very empty ..i actually asked if they had sent some tickets back and we also saw loads of fans outside the pubs on the way down cos we commented on it .

I have my own opinions on what happened that day and there was blame on both sides,nevertheless it is absoloutely tragic for the familys and people that lost their lives at a football match and i cant imagine how they would ever get over it... you could argue about who was to blame for ever and a day but that would solve nothing ime afraid

Very well said. I find it difficult to understand why Sheffield people seem to feel the need to keep bringing this terrible incident up over and again.

No-one can bring back the people who died on that day, and endlessly rehashing the events does no good and will never bring closure for the people who lost loved ones. The most we can hope for is that lessons were learned from what happened, and that they help to ensure that nothing like it ever happens again.

What point are you trying to make?

This happened in the past and still happens at every game on a average weekend. Go into any pub within 10 minutes walk of Hillsborough (crown, park, railway, white horse, masons, travellers) on a Saturday afternoon and you'll find loads of supporters still in there with kick-off looming.

Not trying to make any point. A question was asked and I answered it.

Simples

What a harrowing event. I was watching Sheffield RFC playing at Abbeydale, when someone came out of the pavilion and said there was a problem at Hillsborough. Then a police motorcyclist drove up the ramp, on to the ground, and asked if we knew the whereabouts of the Home Office Pathologist - who was watching the match. The news spread, I sat in my car and listened to the radio, and then came home. It must have been truly awful for anyone in S6 that day.

i can remember it as if it was yesterday.....a freind and i had just come out of the cinema when something didnt seem rite, it was v silent and people were walking round town looking really sad, it wasnt till we read on a star placard what had happened , we purchased the paper n saw the extent of it and we was horrified as we had been undecided wether to go to the match or the cinema and at the last minute we chose the cinema, all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when i read bout it n saw it on news when we got home.....a very sad day and one that everyone here will remember always

I have been reading all the comments on this thread and the one thing that strikes me as that practically no-one was actually in the ground when this tragedy happened and have no experience of what went on that day.

There are people who were and did experience it.

We will never forget that day. We will never forget the people who suffered and died - they will always stay in our hearts. It was a terrible time for the City of Sheffield and its people and re-visiting it this way and analysing what happened or trying to apportion blame in my opinion does no good.

Hopefully the powers-that-be will ensure that it will never happen again.

Can't we just leave it at that?

i agree with your thoughts about analysing what went off, and whos to blame etc, that does no good now, people judging what went off, without actually knowing the full facts, just a few misguided opinions. but as for talking about what went off that day and what you were doing, that is good, no harm in talking about your feelings, what you went through personally, it helps the healing process. its is the reason everyone knows what they were doing at that moment, it was such a shocking event.

I knew two people who were in the ground at the time, and i can tell you they weren't the same, understandably after, it had a big effect on them. Not talking about it, doesn't help.

Edited by jimboin

i was outside my parents house on wadsley lane trying to make some money by selling bunches of daffodils that i had pinched from peoples gardens for 10p, this was before the match when the fans were on there way down to the ground coming out of the pub, then i remember my mum coming to call me into the house, what a sad day, i will never forget.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in Oranjemund South West Africa (as it then was) when this tragedy happened. As an ex Sheffield Wednesday supporter it was particularly poignant. We only saw excerpts on the local news but this was bad enough.