What to do about doorstep collection notice for previous tenant?

We had lots of debt collectors turning up and a couple of bailiff visits and the like for previous tenants of one of the houses I lived in as a student and I just told them to wait on the doorstep whilst I fetched documentation and that they were specifically not welcome to enter the house.

I then locked the door, went and fetched a copy of our lease which named all the current tenants and a copy of our landlord's name and address, then returned to them on the doorstep with that information so that they could see that the people they were seeking were no longer there (one had returned to the US, one to Mexico and the last one to Hong Kong) and they left and never returned.

As long as you can calmly explain to them that you are not the person that they are looking for and that none of the contents of the house are the property of the person that they are looking for then they have no reason to return. If they thought that you were lying for whatever reason or that you were sharing with the person that they are looking for then they could keep hassling you, but the major answer to that is that harassment to procure the payment of a consumer debt is illegal under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and you tell them that just before you shut the door and lock it (then follow that with making sure that every window is also closed and locked).

Hi just thought i would give other people some little ray of hope i had some bailiffs come to my door for a unpaid parking ticket that to be honest i had forgot about the parking ticket was for £60 however this bailiff wanted £460

after telling him to get lost and him telling me he was going to take my car i went on the net and found a site that stops them from ever taking any of my stuff sos-holdings co uk see what you think best thing i did

Hi just thought i would give other people some little ray of hope i had some bailiffs come to my door for a unpaid parking ticket that to be honest i had forgot about the parking ticket was for £60 however this bailiff wanted £460

after telling him to get lost and him telling me he was going to take my car i went on the net and found a site that stops them from ever taking any of my stuff sos-holdings co uk see what you think best thing i did

But according to that website YOUR stuff is no longer YOUR stuff...it is THEIR stuff and they lease it back to you!!!!!

How much does that cost you....to rent stuff you already paid for???

I bet you have paid way over the initial £60 for the parking ticket....so you lose out....you still owe the parking ticket and now a random company owns all your stuff and you rent it back....madness.

And what if sos-holdings co uk gets into financial difficulty...would THEIR stuff in your home...you know the stuff you paid for and rent from them....be seized to pay their debts.

If they were acting on a court order, there's not a lot you can do about it.

If it's necessary to open the envelope in order to find out who sent it and to contact them, there's no crime.

To be honest this may be the case but I have never received a letter in regards to any financial matters that did not have the: "If undelivered" address on the reverse.

After this has all been resolved, you might want to do a credit rating check to remove any incorrect info from your file.

Good advice..........Your address may be associated with that tenant and you would probably be refused credit because of it.

It'll only cost £2 from Equifax.

well i have been looking though the small print in the contract and it is writen in that they can not remove any of my stuff and if any thing should happen on there or my part the title of my goods automaticly returns to me and looking around the net it dont matter what the bailiffs come for they can not remove any thing that you do not have the title for i think its a mint idea but was just trying to help people

Or you just do not let them in and park your car as far away from your house (if you own it outright) as possible. If the car is financed they are not allowed to take it as it is not technically yours until you have paid the last payment.

The ONLY bailiffs allowed to break in are those that are court appointed. Remember this fact. Also a bailiff can enter your property by any legal means, so an open door or window is considered legal.

Lastly, if the original letter was sent to you by normal post, dispute you ever received it. If they have no signature or tracking they cannot prove you received the letter, therefore the charges accumulated after cannot be enforced.

If we are talking debt collector and not bailiffs then they can really only ask you to pay, but if we are talking about a bailiff then they have much more power.

They cannot break in without a court order unless you have previously let them in, but even so the first target will be your car and anything else which is not tied down in outbuildings, garages etc. Hiding your car is not going to work because they are using number plate recognition these days just like the police, so unless you garage the car and don't use it you risk losing it.

Also you cannot rely on the car being financed, especially if the car is not tied to the finance as in an unsecured loan, you're still not safe on HP because they will still take it if you have made over 50% of the payments, the only way you can be certain of keeping the car is if it's leased and then they most definatley cannot touch it.

You can deny recieving the letter all you want but bailiffs are not going to listen, if they look like they sympathise and want to call the office about it or anyone else from your phone to clear the matter up, DON'T LISTEN! once they are in they have gained access and they will start lotting up your stuff for auction... BE WARNED!

Hiding your car is not going to work because they are using number plate recognition these days just like the police, so unless you garage the car and don't use it you risk losing it.

A bailiff is not going to trawl the streets for your car. Parking it on another street or way down your own will usually do the trick.

Also you cannot rely on the car being financed, especially if the car is not tied to the finance as in an unsecured loan

Two very different things.

Car on HP with outstanding finance - Safe as no bailiff is allowed to touch it. That’s a fact.

Car purchased using personal loan - Probably unsafe as the money is not tied to the car.

You can deny recieving the letter all you want but bailiffs are not going to listen, if they look like they sympathise and want to call the office about it or anyone else from your phone to clear the matter up, DON'T LISTEN! once they are in they have gained access and they will start lotting up your stuff for auction... BE WARNED!

Good advice, do not under any circumstances allow the bailiff to enter your property, keep your windows closed and locked. If a bailiff attempts to push in to your home call the police immediately.

Bailiffs are known for using intimidation and some will claim they will return with a lock smith, this is a lie unless they have a court order.

Some bailiffs are also known for waiting until you are out and breaking into your home using methods that leave little trace of their illegal entry. they then claim you left a window open which they used to legally enter your property. A couple of "Beware of the Dog" signs usually stop's them from trying this method.

Archived