Have you been Clegged?

Clegg visited my place of work a few months back (which is incidently not too far from Shef Forgemasters- word did not get out). I never quite worked out the purpose. We didn't even get much press exposure to make it worth while.

Clegg visited my place of work a few months back (which is incidently not too far from Shef Forgemasters- word did not get out). I never quite worked out the purpose. We didn't even get much press exposure to make it worth while.

Did you check the all the cutlery and valuables afterwards?

I think the Lib Dems are getting an unfair press. It's as if people expect them to implement their policies ahead of Tories.

At the end of the day, I don't think they had a choice but to go into coalition and I do think you can see a clear stamp on it.

Also, if the Tories had won a majority their right-wing would running riot right now. The Lib Dems joining to coalition has neutered that - thank God!

I think the Lib Dems are getting an unfair press. It's as if people expect them to implement their policies ahead of Tories.

At the end of the day, I don't think they had a choice but to go into coalition and I do think you can see a clear stamp on it.

Also, if the Tories had won a majority their right-wing would running riot right now. The Lib Dems joining to coalition has neutered that - thank God!

Of course they had a choice! They could have stuck to their principles (and their manifesto promises to the electorate), let the Tories form a government and kept them in check from the Opposition benches.

If you think the Lib Dems have any influence at all over the measures the government's now taking, I'd love you to tell us what they are.

They had PLENTY of choice, they could have formed a light alliance, voting with the tories when they wanted and against when they didnt or acted as a formal opposition like labour. Clegg jumped at the opportunity for a bit of "power" so quick he hardly had the chance to get his pants down before cameron rogered him.

We are not seeing that much neutering of policies only lib dems.

Of course they had a choice! They could have stuck to their principles (and their manifesto promises to the electorate), let the Tories form a government and kept them in check from the Opposition benches.

If you think the Lib Dems have any influence at all over the measures the government's now taking, I'd love you to tell us what they are.

They're standing directly behind one of their main principles, which is that of electoral reform, which would usher in continuous coalitions of one shade or another. They passionately believe in that.

As you ask on policies, so off the top of my head:

Pupil Premium

Raising the Lower income tax band

Referendum on Alternative vote

(all of the above are pretty major implementations I think).

also:

Tridents suddenly disappeared off of the agenda and Cable seems to have neutered some of the crazier ideas immigration. have you also noticed that it's not a bonkersly anti-European government either. Not to mention the announcment by them of a clamp down on tax avoiders and evaders, which would bring in far more to the treasury than an attack on benefits.

So what do you think would be better? A minority very right wing Tory government doing what it wants. Or a Centre\Centre-right coalition which represents the majority of voters in this country?

At the end of the British Electoral system is designed more for this scenario, than it is for partizan politics we've seen for the last 100 and add years

Archived