CoOp travel insurance won`t pay a claimant out because he`d been drinking.

I just read in The Times (can`t link to it because their website is now chargeable) that a 64 year old chap - Frank Malcolm - who was hit by a car whilst on holiday, would not have his £95,000 claim for medical treatment paid out by Co Op travel insurance because he`d been drinking.

According to the article Mr Malcolm was anything but plastered, he`d just had a drink with his son and grandchildren !

Interestingly, his son, who was also injured in the accident, but insured by Drakefield/AXA, was paid out no problem.

Apparently the CoOp only agreed to reconsider the case after The Times publicised the case.

I`m shocked by this, particularly as the Co-Op is supposed to be ethical !

There are also implications for others as to whether their insurer will try to get out of a claim just because they`ve had a drink.

To be honest, this does not surprise me one bit. I think ethics have come a poor second to profits for a while now, especially in my local store, where they lock the doors to prevent a shoplifter leaving whilst potentially putting their customers in danger who are locked in the store also with them. They also accused a senior citizen of shoplifting, by shouting at them across the store and humiliating them, when, in fact, they had paid but were not given a receipt or bag, so had no proof of purchase, until they got a printout off the computer 10 minutes later!

That's the Co-op's ethics for you these days, and when a customer complained re-the 'lock-in' incident, to the Co-op Customer Services team, they had to chase it up for weeks as they were repeatedly ignored and promises to get back in touch were not honoured, then they were informed that it was felt 'their staff had not acted inappropriately'.:o

I no longer view the Co-op as I used to. This latest episode the OP mentions, should serve as a stark warning to people. I shall not be buying their insurance. I have in the past.

To be honest, this does not surprise me one bit. I think ethics have come a poor second to profits for a while now, especially in my local store, where they lock the doors to prevent a shoplifter leaving whilst potentially putting their customers in danger who are locked in the store also with them. They also accused a senior citizen of shoplifting, by shouting at them across the store and humiliating them, when, in fact, they had paid but were not given a receipt or bag, so had no proof of purchase, until they got a printout off the computer 10 minutes later!

That's the Co-op's ethics for you these days, and when a customer complained re-the 'lock-in' incident, to the Co-op Customer Services team, they had to chase it up for weeks as they were repeatedly ignored and promises to get back in touch were not honoured, then they were informed that it was felt 'their staff had not acted inappropriately'.:o

I no longer view the Co-op as I used to. This latest episode the OP mentions, should serve as a stark warning to people. I shall not be buying their insurance. I have in the past.

that's shocking! :o

Archived