What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

why are they a blight? some squatters actually do the places up

I visited a village in Spain where all the houses had been abandoned and were then re-occupied. Some of the owners consented, some of them could not be found and the buildings were 'squatted' but some owners forbid that their buildings be used, and bricked them up. After 15 years, all the buildings on which the owners had sealed up the doors and windows had began to fall down, mostly because the roofs had not been maintained. All the occupied houses were as structurally sound as the day the owners had moved away.

ah so its all personal, spitting the dummy out

well its NOT all like that, for some people its the last and only resort left.........INNOCENT normally law abiding

No Mel. It's experience, not the chintzy fantasy.

I visited a village in Spain where all the houses had been abandoned and were then re-occupied. Some of the owners consented, some of them could not be found and the buildings were 'squatted' but some owners forbid that their buildings be used, and bricked them up. After 15 years, all the buildings on which the owners had sealed up the doors and windows had began to fall down, mostly because the roofs had not been maintained. All the occupied houses were as structurally sound as the day the owners had moved away.

is that that whole village that has been squatted by artists etc since the 60s?

is that that whole village that has been squatted by artists etc since the 60s?

There's dozens of squatted villages over there. Quite a lot of them have been going for more than 20 or 30 years. The one I stayed at had running water piped from a spring to all the houses - something the owners had never managed to achieve when they lived there.

so tony, lets push the debate forward, heres some questions

1: do you want to see homeless people housed? (in the current times where housing lists are through the roof)

2: do you enjoy seeing empty, derelict buildings while walking through towns and cities?

3: do you ever think i wish they could do something worthwhile with this?

Mod Note

Posts containing personal attacks have been deleted.

If you disagree with someone then attack the argument and not the person making it.

If you can't discuss this issue without getting personal then the thread will be closed and further action may be taken

4. Is stealing from hard working people the answer?

as ive said previously, THAT point in most cases is fantasy, most squatters DO NOT move into your hous the minute your backs turned.

im talking buildings thats been left for years and in general decay

even tho youve sidestepped my serious questions

Archived