What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

Not many building that are empty for a long time make for an healthy place to live. Upper class drug abusin ***** usually endulge this lifestyle until their trust fund kicks in. My dad had an empy house with planning issues empty for 6 mths. we had all number of smack heads and filth tryin to squat. We sorted it ourselves, and yes it wasn't legal but it worked. The police are useless in this legal minefield so they got moved on. And now we are not landlords we just don't take **** from freeloaders.

• 2 weeks later...

so what should be done with these empty houses then if the general feeling is that squatting isn't popular?

get the council to pull em down?

do you reckon there should be laws to prevent people/organisations from owning a long-term empty building? or is it their right even though its a waste of resources that could be used for the good?

so what should be done with these empty houses then if the general feeling is that squatting isn't popular?

get the council to pull em down?

do you reckon there should be laws to prevent people/organisations from owning a long-term empty building? or is it their right even though its a waste of resources that could be used for the good?

theyre just happy for em to be left empty for decades, as its the usual, ALL squatters are filthy drug abusing scum and ALL landlords and home owners are legal and decent

What's the difference? It's still nicking other peoples stuff.

squatters DONT nick the building they live in it, the buildings going nowhere, in almost all cases the person who owns the building still owns it.

there has however been the odd ocasion where the squatter has won the right to the building, but even then its not "stolen" in the usual way

It dosn`t matter how long a building has been stood empty , the fact is , the building is owned by someone , and they can do as they please with it with regards to leaving it empty.

Why the hell should someone be allowed to squat in someone else`s

property ?

If it dosnt belong to you , then you have NO right to be in there .

Sounds about right to me. Its not yours - keep out.

Regards

Angel.

• 4 months later...
I'd quite like to buy a bit of a project, which by definition would be a bit run down and empty. I'd like to do it up over a period of time, as I'd want to eventually live in it. It would have to be a bit knackered in the mean time, as it should ideally be in a really nice, hence expensive, spot. So a knackered one would be all I could realisticly fund.

I don't think I'd appreciate squatters in the intervening time span.

I'm also kinda guessing that they wouldn't be paying council tax...

Neither would you until you lived in it. Maybe that's why so many buildings are left empty. If councils made the owners pay the full council tax then they would have to do something with it.

Archived