What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

I don't agree with squatting, but neither do I agree with leaving residential properties to fall into disrepair. Apart from the lack of use of the building, its depressing for the neighbours. Some good news? The government are planning to put £100m into rescuing empty homes.

'England has 762,000 empty homes.'http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/ihstory.aspx?storycode=6512202#Scene_1

Ah, an armchair lawyer. Tell us, how will you begin your squat?

You'll be needing to commit trespass, criminal damage and unlawful occupation won't you? Not bad for your first minutes eh?

Squatting isn't illegal.

If you find an empty property, one which has, for the sake of argument, the door forced open before you stumble upon it.

Then you can squat it.

If you need housing, then it is a good way of securing temporary housing.

Far better for someone to be looking after an empty property than nobody doing so and it falling into potential disrepair.

Obviously we don't want irresponsible people forcing doors then claiming they stumbled upon an empty property. But if a responsible person has fallen on hard times and will look after the property, perhaps repairing the door (they FOUND forced open), keeping the property clean etc. then surely its a good thing.

Houses that have been empty six months can be seized by the state and rented out to tenants. Surely we should have a system in place for squatters to pay rent to the council and have some security of tenure.

Section 6 legal notice for squats

A legal warning notice on Section 6 of the Criminal Law Act 1977 which protects the rights of occupiers of properties.

If you are squatting it is strongly advised you display this notice to inform people of your rights - and let them know that you are aware of your rights

LEGAL WARNING

Section 6 Criminal Law Act 1977

As amended by Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994

TAKE NOTICE

THAT we live in this property, it is our home and we intend to stay here.

THAT at all times there is at least one person in this property.

THAT any entry or attempt to enter into this property without our permission is a criminal offence as any one of us who is in physical possession is opposed to entry without our permission.

THAT if you attempt to enter by violence or by threatening violence we will prosecute you. You may receive a sentence of up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000.

THAT if you want to get us out you will have to take out a summons for possession in the County Court or in the High Court, or produce to us a written statement or certificate in terms of S.12A Criminal Law Act, 1977 (as inserted by Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, 1994).

THAT it is an offence under S.12A ( 8 ) Criminal Law Act 1977 (as amended) to knowingly make a false statement to obtain a written statement for the purposes of S. 12A. A person guilty of such an offence may receive a sentence of up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000.

Signed

The Occupiers

N.B. Signing this Legal warning is optional. It is equally valid whether or not it is signed.

"THAT any entry or attempt to enter into this property without our permission is a criminal offence as any one of us who is in physical possession is opposed to entry without our permission."

What if they enter through a door that they happened to find open already, you know the same kind of door that the free-loaders, sorry squatters came through.

So reading that if there is a time when the squatters are all out of the building then the premises can be entered (through an open door of course, not one that might have been forced, perhaps they coudl use the one the squatters came through) and re-squatted by new squatters?

Honestly, why on earth do i bother paying mortgage and council tax when for 50p i can get a house.

so effectively you (Chem1st) are suggesting the following

break into an empty house

claim the door or window was open (for the sake of argument)

make sure there is someone in at all times

law cant touch you and you can prosecute them

the law is an ass - why should people work so free-loaders (who i presume the vast majority dont work) get freebies. Are the council obliged to provide power and water?

Turn it all off would be my suggestion if i owned a property that got squatted in while i was ownership of it i would cut all power and water to the building.

Are the squatters legal tenants then if they get in my property? who pays? does this mean i couldnt even access my own house. Why do we even call them squatters? how about illegal occupants since they dont own the property or pay a rental to the owner?

"If you find an empty property, one which has, for the sake of argument, the door forced open before you stumble upon it.

Then you can squat it.

If you need housing, then it is a good way of securing temporary housing." (Chem1st)

So Chem1st when you go on holiday i can get my friend to break open your door, i "happen to walk past" for the sake of argument 5 minutes later when he's gone, see your door open and the place looking fairly empty as he's stripped your place clean, walk in and claiim squatters rights for myself then invite all my friends round to live with me in your house.

After all

the house was empty

it looked unoccupied at the time

the door was open

i've got my notice that you have so kindly put up for me to print out

you cant prove that i broke in (indeed i coudl have the door replaced with new locks, you know to keep it in a state of repair), and i could have taken footage showing the door open

So where would i stand there? would you be outside in the cold while i had your house under squatters rights. This is a genuine question based on what you have posted, i think i've met all the credentials.

It seems wholy, utterly wrong that people can enter somebody else's property than be protected by the law until the long-winded process of evicting them can be completed.

If it happened to a property of mine, I'd just make sure I was away alsewhere with a rock hard alibi while other people with iron bars visited.

It seems wholy, utterly wrong that people can enter somebody else's property than be protected by the law until the long-winded process of evicting them can be completed.

If it happened to a property of mine, I'd just make sure I was away alsewhere with a rock hard alibi while other people with iron bars visited.

How brave.

"If you find an empty property, one which has, for the sake of argument, the door forced open before you stumble upon it.

Then you can squat it.

If you need housing, then it is a good way of securing temporary housing." (Chem1st)

So Chem1st when you go on holiday i can get my friend to break open your door, i "happen to walk past" for the sake of argument 5 minutes later when he's gone, see your door open and the place looking fairly empty as he's stripped your place clean, walk in and claiim squatters rights for myself then invite all my friends round to live with me in your house.

After all

the house was empty

it looked unoccupied at the time

the door was open

i've got my notice that you have so kindly put up for me to print out

you cant prove that i broke in (indeed i coudl have the door replaced with new locks, you know to keep it in a state of repair), and i could have taken footage showing the door open

So where would i stand there? would you be outside in the cold while i had your house under squatters rights. This is a genuine question based on what you have posted, i think i've met all the credentials.

That's pretty much the jist of it, however with my property being recently occupied, proof of bills etc being paid by myself, then I'd be able to ring the police and have you done for breaking and entering, criminal damage etc.

I wouldn't suggest doing this to a house somebody is living in. But if your house is repossessed, I'd recommend squatting it. If you are homeless and its freezing I'd suggest squatting the post office and old court building in town for example.

The council can't house people and we have houses (and grand communal buildings) laying derelict.

It would be a win win situation for all if responsible squatters moved into some of the buildings that lay derelict and improved them and made a home in them.

We've seen quite a few buildings razed to the ground recently in Sheffield due to arson, I'd much rather see them used for temporary housing, especially if the squatters look after them.

Archived