What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

and is it morally wrong for people to leave unwanted buildings in disrepair sometimes for decades? while theres people homeless, sleeping rough, on friends floors, on housing waiting lists sometimes for decades?

Agreed.

There is a line between damaging and inconveniencing an individual and the need for shelter.

its like our firm smash stuff like computer monitors and stuff before putting them into a skip, or places that now lock up bins and skips and do people for bin sniffing

ITS RUBBISH, if somebody wants it let em have it

completely selfishness

its like our firm smash stuff like computer monitors and stuff before putting them into a skip, or places that now lock up bins and skips and do people for bin sniffing

ITS RUBBISH, if somebody wants it let em have it

completely selfishness

Shouldn't squatters practice what they preach then?

They could start by taking their crap away with them - literally.

Shouldn't squatters practice what they preach then?

They could start by taking their crap away with them - literally.

most do, most live like everybody else, just happens to be in an otherwise dilapidated building

again youve got it in your head ALL squatters are glue sniffing drug addled criminals which isnt the case

again youve got it in your head ALL squatters are glue sniffing drug addled criminals which isnt the case

No, I've got it in my head that all the squatters that I've dealt with on six occasions were glue sniffing drug addled criminals... with poor toilet training.

I treat them just like I treat everyone - as I find them.

Squatting isn't illegal.

If you find an empty property, one which has, for the sake of argument, the door forced open before you stumble upon it.

Then you can squat it.

If you need housing, then it is a good way of securing temporary housing.

Far better for someone to be looking after an empty property than nobody doing so and it falling into potential disrepair.

Obviously we don't want irresponsible people forcing doors then claiming they stumbled upon an empty property. But if a responsible person has fallen on hard times and will look after the property, perhaps repairing the door (they FOUND forced open), keeping the property clean etc. then surely its a good thing.

Houses that have been empty six months can be seized by the state and rented out to tenants. Surely we should have a system in place for squatters to pay rent to the council and have some security of tenure.

Chemist, I'm a firm supporter of homeless charities and appreciate what you're trying to do/say, but can I suggest that you be very careful with the advice you're giving out. Your understanding of the law here isn't very accurate I'm afraid. People squatting leave themselves open to all sorts of legal remedies from the owner, both criminal and civil.

No, I've got it in my head that all the squatters that I've dealt with on six occasions were glue sniffing drug addled criminals... with poor toilet training.

I treat them just like I treat everyone - as I find them.

6 is far less than all squatters that have ever squatted in the world through history tho

At the weekend , I was walking up Crookes Rd in Broomhill and noticed that the university-owned building (I think its Pisgah House?) was still sitting empty.

After all the commotion concerning that building when the 'squatters' moved in, surely the university should have taken faster action to re-occupy or find a use for the building to justify their, quite ruthless, legal action??

What do other people think?? Should the council be taking more steps to find a future for all these empty properties in a time of spending cuts and rising numbers of people struggling to find a home?? What is so bad about squatting when a building has lied empty for years?

The council should definitely be trying harder, no doubt about it

Archived