What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

Exactly. That's my point in one. Squatting can lead to prosecution.

These pro squatting sites, and various people, make out as though "squatters rights" exist. They don't. Actually, there's other major legal mistakes on that site you quoted, but I won't bore people more than I have to.

Read back anyway. My issue is people suggesting that squatting is fine and dandy, with no comeback from the law, and that squatting doesn't leave people open to prosecution. It certainly can do, hence my suggestion that people take these sites about squatting, and other's suggestions with a large pinch of salt.

tbh i disagree with this statement, even tho i dont do law :P squatting groups have been around since AT LEAST the mid 70s prolly 60s, the squatters handbooks been around since the early 80s (i think) the squatting groups help people with court cases, id imagine if the info they give out was wrong, theyd know by now?

That's ridiculously vague.

your not actually a resident ever, although some squatters have gone to court and won the right to their "homes" after squatting in them for years

but you can only be legally turfed out with a court order, or if everybody leaves the building and somebody gets in and locks you out

tbh i disagree with this statement, even tho i dont do law :P squatting groups have been around since AT LEAST the mid 70s prolly 60s, the squatters handbooks been around since the early 80s (i think) the squatting groups help people with court cases, id imagine if the info they give out was wrong, theyd know by now?

There were quite a few legal errors on there to be honest! :) I'm sad. I spot these things. :)

and in my view that is the most selfish, nasty, legally offensive, morally offensive way of doing things

I'm so glad that you have some around to my way of thinking. Squatters are indeed as guilty as you have charged them.

There's nothing wrong at all with squatting empty and unused buildings. Once the Tories' assault on social housing is well under way, and with the pitifully low level of housebuilding over the last decade or so, soon some peoples' choice will be between a slum and a squat.

If someone genuinely is planning on moving in they can get a PIO (Protected Intended Occupier) to get them out. Otherwise why not squat? I'm interested in setting up a squatting group in Sheffield if anyone's interested. PM me.

Archived