What is so bad about squatting when a building has stood empty for years?

No, I've got it in my head that all the squatters that I've dealt with on six occasions were glue sniffing drug addled criminals... with poor toilet training.

I treat them just like I treat everyone - as I find them.

I've not met any squatters like that but I've enciuntered plenty of types who make a living as middle men, using their wadges of cash to buy up housing stock, They collectively drive its' value up through their efforts which enables them to skim some money off the top. These types actually played a significant role in bringing about our current economic woes, and therefore helped create the conditions where there are empty properties which no-one can afford and increased homelessness - ideal conditions for a resurgence of squatting. The curious thing is, a lot of these parasitical middle men types seem to be of the impression that their poo is without odour.

I've not met any squatters like that

You're very fortunate then because they are the norm in my experience. I'm sure that there are some who put up gingham curtains and donkey stone the doorstep but even those are still breaking the law from what I can see.

I've enciuntered plenty of types who make a living as middle men, using their wadges of cash to buy up housing stock, They collectively drive its' value up through their efforts which enables them to skim some money off the top. These types actually played a significant role in bringing about our current economic woes, and therefore helped create the conditions where there are empty properties which no-one can afford and increased homelessness - ideal conditions for a resurgence of squatting. The curious thing is, a lot of these parasitical middle men types seem to be of the impression that their poo is without odour.

Yea, I've met people like that too. I believe that they call themselves home owners.

When you've had first hand experience of some of the shocking realities of squatting you have a more rounded view on it.

Aside from that you seem to be very confused. Obviously you seem to be trying to have a personal dig at me but you are a million miles off beam I'm afraid.

When you've had first hand experience of some of the shocking realities of squatting you have a more rounded view on it.

I would come round to the 'rounded view that all squatters are " glue sniffing, drug addicted criminals."

Aside from that you seem to be very confused. Obviously you seem to be trying to have a personal dig at me but you are a million miles off beam I'm afraid.

Not at all. If you don't make a living from property speculation then it is obvious my comments don't apply to you.

I would come round to the 'rounded view that all squatters are " glue sniffing, drug addicted criminals."

Jolly good. We agree then.

Not at all. If you don't make a living from property speculation then it is obvious my comments don't apply to you.

Jolly #2. Would a teensy tiny apology be too much to expect?

Y'see, we can agree to disagree like grown ups. It's a sort of coalition.

Jolly good. We agree then.

Jolly #2. Would a teensy tiny apology be too much to expect?

Y'see, we can agree to disagree like grown ups. It's a sort of coalition.

Yes you should apologise for being relentlessly patronising. But then I suppose that is all you have to fall back on when push comes to shove. :D

What about the owner of a semi detached house, who lets it fall into disrepair. Does the neighbour have any rights?

No, why should they?

Depends if there is a contracual obligation to do so?

For example, up to about the 1950s most houses were built with clear defined borders to their property (not the open plan developments we are seeing today). If one person was to cause damage to a border that ajoined a neighbour, it could possibly their contractual right to ensure it is repaired or risk being sued, lawfully, by the neighbour. These sort of things are called 'Restrictive covenants' and are clearly highlighted in the deeds to a property or land registry certificate, if you are lucky enough to own your house. They are your rights and obligations if you like.

Another example could be what is called an 'easement'. This is a contractual right to be on someone elses land. Good examples are Victorian or early Edwardian terraced houses where access to back yards or gardens is 'land locked' and the only access is across neighbouring properties. There could be a contracual obligation to keep your pathway in a fit and proper state in case someone with a contraual right has to cross your land to get to their property. It again would be in the deeds or land reg cert. Failure of upkeep, shoukld there be such a right and someone injures themselves, could lead to a claim under this act:-

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Primary&PageNumber=69&NavFrom=2&parentActiveTextDocId=1159585&ActiveTextDocId=1159585&filesize=19751

I've not met any squatters like that but I've enciuntered plenty of types who make a living as middle men, using their wadges of cash to buy up housing stock, They collectively drive its' value up through their efforts which enables them to skim some money off the top. These types actually played a significant role in bringing about our current economic woes, and therefore helped create the conditions where there are empty properties which no-one can afford and increased homelessness - ideal conditions for a resurgence of squatting. The curious thing is, a lot of these parasitical middle men types seem to be of the impression that their poo is without odour.

And what exactly did the working mans Labour party do to address the sitaution in 13 years of governement then?

and is it morally wrong for people to leave unwanted buildings in disrepair sometimes for decades? while theres people homeless, sleeping rough, on friends floors, on housing waiting lists sometimes for decades?

Sorry , but thats not the problem of the owner of a vacant property.

I would like a Ferrari , but i cant afford one , so is it ok for me to just go and steal one so i then have one ?

NO , its not.

Archived