Advice on broken washing machine

If it's just the spin cycle that is not working then it cant be the belt or the brushes (otherwise it would not wash at all - let alone spin).

If, as I think you are saying, that it just stops when it gets to the spin cycle, then the problem is more likely to be caused by a faulty program switch (timer) or speed control module (usually a separate circuit board).

Either way it doesn't sound cheap.

If it was me, I'd get someone reputable to look at it first. Maybe DART at Walkley.

Thanks for the advice. The machine does work but when it comes to the spin cycle the drum does not spin. So yep, I think an expensive repair - any recommendations?
Make sure you check the wires on motor conecting block somtimes they come loose or break due to vibration

The best way of checking any electrical fault is by elimination.

It has been ascertained that the washer does work but not on the spin cycle, as I've said in a previous post, having taken the back panel off the washer look to see if the belt on the drum has either stretched or its broken and come off.

If this is ok then move on to the next stage: unplug from the mains, take the connecting cables off the motor and take the motor out - check the brushes, if they are ok refit the motor and re-connect the cables to it.

With the drum belt off, plug the washing machine in to the power supply and put washer dial on Spin............observe if the pulley on the motor is turning, if it is then you know the motor is ok and the programmer is working ok - that leaves the tub itself.

If the tub does not spin when the belt is on both the motor pulley and the tub pulley then the next thing to check is the tub bearing - it may have collapsed.

All this checking may seem time consuming, but will save you pounds in either having to pay to have it serviced or to replace the washer with a new one, and lastly will give you some idea of what to look out for incase it happens again.

Archived