Is it a sin to steal a bible?

Hear me out here. Im not normally a thief. Im staying in a hotel tonight and beside my bed is a bible donated by those lovely people the Gideons.

I started to give it a read and as god said, it was good. I want to carry on reading it but i am getting tired and have to be up early. Do you think anyone would mind if I took the book? My reasoning would be that potentially it could turn me into a good Christian and by default i believe my sin would be forgiven. If I dont take the book I may never find god and become a Christian and therefore be living my life in sin.

I'm stumped.

http://christianity.about.com/od/practicaltools/ht/freebible.htm

At first I thought a better title might be, "How to Get a Free Bible without Stealing it from a Hotel Room." But, I didn't want to offend anyone, especially my Gideon friends. The truth is, the Gideons don't mind if you take those hotel Bibles. They are actually placed there for travelers who might need one. (It's a good idea, however, to ask the hotel for permission before you take the Bible!) So, there's one very easy way to obtain a free copy of the Bible. Here are several more:

I think it's like the soap and shower gel.

Hear me out here. Im not normally a thief. Im staying in a hotel tonight and beside my bed is a bible donated by those lovely people the Gideons.

I started to give it a read and as god said, it was good. I want to carry on reading it but i am getting tired and have to be up early. Do you think anyone would mind if I took the book? My reasoning would be that potentially it could turn me into a good Christian and by default i believe my sin would be forgiven. If I dont take the book I may never find god and become a Christian and therefore be living my life in sin.

I'm stumped.

It is Gods book, it belongs to everyone.

The bible is, after all, only a material object, so the theft is like any other, an act of removing an object from the ownership of the person to whom it belongs. There can be no real fear of any religious prohibition or sanction which might lead to your being struck by a bolt from heaven for your act. In early times, though, when books were much more expensive (as manuscripts), religious books including bibles etc often had a curse against thieves written inside the front cover to discourage such acts.

Now, if the bible in question had been, for example, a copy of the Gutenberg 42-line bible, even I (totally upright as I am!) would have been seriously tempted!

I would have thought that anyone that steals a Bible for the purpose of reading it and gaining knowledge from it I am sure would be excused and in turn the knowledge gained should see the return of that Bible.

Now it depends I guess on who its 'stolen' from, because if its some ones personal Bible then it would be hard to justify as you don't know what comfort they are getting from it or its Sentimental value.

Its a hard one and depends on who it is off and its intended use I would have thought. I can't see it being any sort of sin if that's the concern even though it is literally classed as stealing.

Archived