UK economy grows twice as fast as predicted

It's a fair bit up on the same quarter last year and up 2.8% year on year.....is that bad news..?

But compared to last quarter it's down.

In reality though there's absolutely no way we can judge the coalition on one months growth figures before the cuts have even started to bite.

But its still a positive,we have to keep the economy growing every 1/4,a growing economy=more jobs=less benefits,if we want to get the people off benefits and into jobs we need to create them.

Yes we can't judge on 1 quarter but we're going in the right direction.

But compared to last quarter it's down.

In reality though there's absolutely no way we can judge the coalition on one months growth figures before the cuts have even started to bite.

But you cannot compare on the last quarter you never have been able to - you always need compare like on like from the same one last year. Otherwise you don't allow for the skewing effect of things like Christmas, and summer holidays.

It's a fair bit up on the same quarter last year and up 2.8% year on year.....is that bad news..?

Not at all, and any growth is better than none.

The point I was making was the emphasis on it being "twice as fast as predicted" as if this was good news

The fact that it is better than pessimistic forecasts only shows that the forecasts were wrong (again)

Whilst I accept that year on year is a better indicator than quarter on quarter, to compare it to last year is misleading in any event as we were in a recession this time last year - the fact that we are no longer in a recession is good news - the fact that the rate of growth is slowing is not (although not a surprise)

But you cannot compare on the last quarter you never have been able to - you always need compare like on like from the same one last year. Otherwise you don't allow for the skewing effect of things like Christmas, and summer holidays.

True, but net quarter on quarter growth to is also slowing. I.e. This years Q1 growth compared to Q1 in 2009> This years Q2 growth compared to Q2 in 2009 > This years Q3 growth compared to Q3 in 2009

Like I said though, it's probably a little early to judge.

Not at all, and any growth is better than none.

The point I was making was the emphasis on it being "twice as fast as predicted" as if this was good news

The fact that it is better than pessimistic forecasts only shows that the forecasts were wrong (again)

Whilst I accept that year on year is a better indicator than quarter on quarter, to compare it to last year is misleading in any event as we were in a recession this time last year - the fact that we are no longer in a recession is good news - the fact that the rate of growth is slowing is not (although not a surprise)

It is good news isn't it? If the prediction was for the economy to grow at 0.4% over the quarter, then grows at 0.8% over the quarter, I'd say that is good news.

Archived