Crookes family from Neepsend in the 1920-60s

Blade73

I just wish someone could answer this point. Nobody has ever been able to explain to me just how Kelly's defined a "private resident". In directories of 60+ years ago, far more people were included than later - and instead of a "Private Residents" section there was an "Alphabetical" section. In my 1942 directory, the Alphabetical section counts for almost as many pages as the street-by-street section. By the time the last Kelly's Sheffield & Rotherham directory appeared in 1973 (that is, the 1974 edition) it seemed to be the more professional people who were included in what was by then termed the "Private Residents" section. But what the actual selection criterion was is a mystery to me - though it seems to have changed over the years. Does anyone have the answer?.:confused:

Kellys and the other directories out there would charge people to have their names in the yearly directory. By the time Kelly's stopped actively producing the annuals the Phone book was in operation and of course these were widely available. This is why when looking through the old directories you can have gaps in houses within the private residents. I usually tell people to think of these as the forerunners to Thompson Local and the phone book

Maureen Crookes is my aunt and she is 82 and still alive she married my mothers brother Fred Young in 1950 and has two sons Stephen and Andrew.Sheila Crookes died about 2yrs ago.Ike Crookes was the man who put out the landmine on top of the Gasometer during the war he and another man the other man got a medal but as ike was serving in the navy he was deemed to be doing his duty.

a crooks family lived in hobson ave abc streets off penistone rd wilf father son ray daughter thelma wilf and ray were plasterers i,m 74 ray will be 80 if alive he and his wife and daughter moved to hoyland late 50s early 60s they had reletives who lived in capel st nr the barrack tavern doug was my age audery was older i think there were other members older we all went to burton st later langsett rd sec mod

Archived