Wortley Family research

I am researching my family history and have come up against a brick wall. One of my husband's ancestors is reported to have belonged to the Wortley family of Wortley Hall. He got involved with a local girl that the family disapproved of. He changed his name and married this girl. We think his new name was Thomas Smith. Apparently there were legal papers that proved this story, but they have disappeared. Does anyone out there know anything about this

All we know for definite is that his daughter, Elizabeth Ann, married George Brace July 1882. If we have found the right Elizabeth her father was born 1827/1828. The problem is, in the 1851 census, he gives his birthplace as Oughtibridge, in the 1861, as Bradfield. This does not tie in with him belonging to the Wortley family. Also the one we think is correct married Nancy Hobson in 1850. In the 1881 census Nancy was a widow, but when Elizabeth married George in 1882 her father's name is on the certificate, not given as "deceased". Other certificates I have do state that the parent is deceased

I hope you can make sense of this, it's beginning to confuse me!

Regards,

Pat

I haven't got the certificate, a relative in Australia has sent me the details. I will contact her and get them. The thing is, we are not absolutely sure that this is the right marriage. The couple had a daughter, Elizabeth Ann, who was the right age so that is the only connection that we have.

Regards,

Pat

Archived