'Xian' - what's all that about then?

Let's be fair, Grahame has used words that other's have found deeply offensive, so he should accept it with good grace.

Of course, which has basically been my point throughout this whole thread.

It's a learning curve for people like Grahame. They have to understand that it's a perfectly natural human urge to 'challenge' people in ways that they may not find very comfortable and one of those ways is to pick on a person's weakness and keep pressing that button until it 'cures or kills them' to use a euphemism.

This alludes to my earlier discussion with multi user wildcat by pointing out that there is a sustantial difference in 'pressing that button until it cures or kills them' in a close personal relationship (eg a personal relationship with a 'colleague') where it can lead to bullying and, in extreme cases, can lead, for example, to a wife murdering her husband because she feels trapped compared to the kind of bullying/offence taking that Grahame talks about which is different because nobody's forcing him to read all this 'offensive' stuff other than his own sado masochistic personality (which he'll probably also take offence to :D).

No probs owd.

I assume we'll be seeing you use this accurate term from now on as opposed to the clearly inaccurate term 'militant'.

I may well do- like I said, however, I'm still waiting for feedback from flammingjimmy who was the one who indicated that, to some, 'militant atheist' was seen as derogatory and, more importantly, put together a convincing set of reasons why it could be seen as derogatory.

It may well be, that, for whatever reason, the term 'anti-theist' could be seen as equally/more derogatory, hence the pause for feedback.

Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Your lead in to the long copy and paste seems to be misunderstanding onewheeldaves post. He was saying that a post will be pulled apart and dissected... that doesn't mean the original post was wrong and didn't require filling half my page with Dawkins words.

Well, yes. I'm afraid 'pulled apart' does mean 'to find flaws and highlight them' leading to the conclusion that, in this case your analogy, was weak and ill thought out.

Actually, in the context of it's use in my post, it means what i meant it to mean :)

Which was, that any statement can be 'pulled apart' to the extent that contrary objections can be raised to the points in it.

That does not mean they are necessarily flawed or wrong, becasue, as always happens in these matters, the original poster will raise contrary objections to the contrary objections, or, put forward defences of the origanal points, at which point the second poster will do exactly the same, thus starting a process which can continue, for ever, round and round and round, never getting anywhere.

Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Your lead in to the long copy and paste seems to be misunderstanding onewheeldaves post. He was saying that a post will be pulled apart and dissected... that doesn't mean the original post was wrong and didn't require filling half my page with Dawkins words.

Actually, in the context of it's use in my post, it means what i meant it to mean :)

Which was, that any statement can be 'pulled apart' to the extent that contrary objections can be raised to the points in it.

That does not mean they are necessarily flawed or wrong, becasue, as always happens in these matters, the original poster will raise contrary objections to the contrary objections, or, put forward defences of the origanal points, at which point the second poster will do exactly the same, thus starting a process which can continue, for ever, round and round and round, never getting anywhere.

Which simply means that;

1/ the clear misuse, misrepresentation and ambiguous posting of you and your alter ego wildcat is nothing more than the trolling I've come to expect from you and;

2/ that whether you like it or not a flawed, weak analogy is still a flawed, weak analogy as I've clearly highlighted when you understand how an analogy works and simply back tracking by trying to make out you, in your role as wildcat, meant something entirely different because your analogy failed miserably makes you the kind of dishonest poster that I alluded to earlier on.

Which simply means that;

1/ the clear misuse, misrepresentation and ambiguous posting of you and your alter ego wildcat is nothing more than the trolling I've come to expect from you and;

2/ that whether you like it or not a flawed, weak analogy is still a flawed, weak analogy as I've clearly highlighted when you understand how an analogy works and simply back tracking by trying to make out you, in your role as wildcat, meant something entirely different because your analogy failed miserably makes you the kind of dishonest poster that I alluded to earlier on.

You seriously think that I am wildcat? :lol:

I may well do- like I said, however, I'm still waiting for feedback from flammingjimmy who was the one who indicated that, to some, 'militant atheist' was seen as derogatory and, more importantly, put together a convincing set of reasons why it could be seen as derogatory.

It may well be, that, for whatever reason, the term 'anti-theist' could be seen as equally/more derogatory, hence the pause for feedback.

Personally I don't mind either other than the term militant has clear connotations that are a world apart from the pervading atheist/antitheist mindset.

When you hear of an outspoken atheist murdering a religious person or denying them equal rights (not special pleading) simply because of his/her religion then I'll agree that that individual is a militant atheist.

Until then it just shows the levels that insecure religious people will stoop to to try and put atheists in the same disingenuous mindset as themselves for no other reason than to try and find fault with the atheist position which they simply can't do otherwise.

Archived