'Xian' - what's all that about then?

I may well do- like I said, however, I'm still waiting for feedback from flammingjimmy who was the one who indicated that, to some, 'militant atheist' was seen as derogatory and, more importantly, put together a convincing set of reasons why it could be seen as derogatory.

It may well be, that, for whatever reason, the term 'anti-theist' could be seen as equally/more derogatory, hence the pause for feedback.

Sorry I wasn't aware that you were waiting for my feedback, this thread has moved fast and its been hard to keep up, also, I'm quite drunk right now.

I'm not offended by the term anti-theist. It seems quite accurate, I'm definitely opposed to theism, I think its a bad idea. People can believe what they want, but if they expect special treatment for it I tend to get a little riled. I'm a great believer in equality, which informs my diatribes against many theists just as much as my atheism does. Obviously I can't speak for others though.

Sorry I wasn't aware that you were waiting for my feedback, this thread has moved fast and its been hard to keep up, also, I'm quite drunk right now.

I'm not offended by the term anti-theist. It seems quite accurate, I'm definitely opposed to theism, I think its a bad idea. People can believe what they want, but if they expect special treatment for it I tend to get a little riled. I'm a great believer in equality, which informs my diatribes against many theists just as much as my atheism does. Obviously I can't speak for others though.

Ok. Obviously, I'll reserve the right to change my decision if unforseen issues arise with using the term.

But, in the absence of that, I will now happily cease to use the term 'militant atheist' and, use 'antitheist' instead.

I'd like to add that this has come about due to a successful bit of communication.

In the process, and, over the several pages it has taken to negotiate that change, there have, as there always is on threads like this, been multiple posts accusing me of having questionable motives for use of the original term, as well as a couple accusing me of being downright dishonest/trolling.

I can say, with complete sincerity, that those posts, have in no way helped or assisted the proces of me taking on board flamingjimmys opinion on the terms in question- they have, if anything, only delayed the process.

The reason for the change is that one poster (flamingjimmy), despite being someone who I don't, in general, agree with, managed to put forward a case, in a rational way, and did so without using a hostile tone or needless accusations.

Personally I don't mind either other than the term militant has clear connotations that are a world apart from the pervading atheist/antitheist mindset.

When you hear of an outspoken atheist murdering a religious person or denying them equal rights (not special pleading) simply because of his/her religion then I'll agree that that individual is a militant atheist.

Until then it just shows the levels that insecure religious people will stoop to to try and put atheists in the same disingenuous mindset as themselves for no other reason than to try and find fault with the atheist position which they simply can't do otherwise.

You need to google "Christian persecution".

Thousands of Chinese Christians have been killed for their faith since the year 2000, according to an investigation of senior Christian rights officials published Monday, September 3.

“In the last seven years 3,000 Christians were killed,” said Ulrich Delius, the Asia expert of the German-based Society for Threatened Peoples, which campaigns against all forms of genocide and “ethnocide”.

http://chinaview.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/report-3000-chinese-christians-killed-since-2000/

Militant Secularists. (Atheists to a man)

That's what's called an oxymoron, Grahame.

The faith I have in my car starting each morning is similar to my faith in God. Should my car fail me, perhaps due to my neglect, my faith which is based on fact - and experience - remains undiminished.

You are confusing the Christian faith which is not a religion, with my faith which is undiminished.

I think "Intolerant Atheism" sums up their attitude pretty well.

a. Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.

b. Opposed to the inclusion or participation of those different from oneself, especially those of a different racial, ethnic, or social background.

c. Lacking respect for practices and beliefs other than one's own.

You need to google "Christian persecution".

Thousands of Chinese Christians have been killed for their faith since the year 2000, according to an investigation of senior Christian rights officials published Monday, September 3.

“In the last seven years 3,000 Christians were killed,” said Ulrich Delius, the Asia expert of the German-based Society for Threatened Peoples, which campaigns against all forms of genocide and “ethnocide”.

http://chinaview.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/report-3000-chinese-christians-killed-since-2000/

All you've proved there is a pseudo religious ideology in the form of communism persecuting a religious ideology, in this case xtianity. The linking of atheism to this battle of ideologies is a complete non sequitur.

Secularism is the exact opposite of this ideological mindset as I'm sure you well know as it puts all religions on an equal footing and takes away state privileges from any one dominating religious ideology.

Ok. Obviously, I'll reserve the right to change my decision if unforseen issues arise with using the term.

But, in the absence of that, I will now happily cease to use the term 'militant atheist' and, use 'antitheist' instead.

I'd like to add that this has come about due to a successful bit of communication.

In the process, and, over the several pages it has taken to negotiate that change, there have, as there always is on threads like this, been multiple posts accusing me of having questionable motives for use of the original term, as well as a couple accusing me of being downright dishonest/trolling.

I can say, with complete sincerity, that those posts, have in no way helped or assisted the proces of me taking on board flamingjimmys opinion on the terms in question- they have, if anything, only delayed the process.

The reason for the change is that one poster (flamingjimmy), despite being someone who I don't, in general, agree with, managed to put forward a case, in a rational way, and did so without using a hostile tone or needless accusations.

Awww damn.......I was hoping you'd reject the idea of using antitheism instead of militant atheist.:( It gives me a satisfying sense of smugness and superiority knowing the person I'm debating with is using a term that is way off the mark.;)

Archived