'Xian' - what's all that about then?

Well it is just my opinion anyway but I'd guess that if we could press a button that made everyone in the middle east become atheists in a flash the death rate would drop dramatically.

But that's all it is- a guess.

The problems in the middle east can be atributed to many things other than religion (e.g. presence of oil, past colonial explotations etc).

If the theory that religion is the root is being put forward from a rationalist perspective, then the theory needs actual evidence.

Yes I can see I'm a dimwit next to your mighty intellect. Because I read your badly written post in that way I think everything is about me? I'm hardly on this forum compared to you.

The logic of religion IMO is no different from them/us, me/you, yours/mine. How you care to read my post is entirely at your remit. My guess is you read what you wanted to read because you have an instant issue with me rather than the post.

If your issue is with me then make it with me through pm's rather than choking the life out of a thread and making it about you. As for intellect? well that's your issue not mine considering you've used that as an argument in the past.

This thread seems to be going all over the place but a point I'd like to make to the posters who seem to be saying that it's OK to believe in something without evidence, the acceptance of a metaphysical god, is do you care if your beliefs are most likely true? That is, when you apply correspondence theory, what happens? Can you demonstrate your beliefs correspond to objective demonstrable reality?

Basically if you appear to be unconcerned whether or not your beliefs are true just because you have a warm fuzzy feeling when you sing a hymn in church then how can you be trusted to make honest, well adjusted decisions in life in general?

Bearing in mind the fact that people unconsciously attribute their own thoughts and emotions to other people (Psychological projection) I would like to ask the same question of our atheist friends.

But that's all it is- a guess.

The problems in the middle east can be atributed to many things other than religion (e.g. presence of oil, past colonial explotations etc).

If the theory that religion is the root is being put forward from a rationalist perspective, then the theory needs actual evidence.

But it isn't a guess is it? There's plenty of evidence out there.

I can't remember who it was now and I haven't got time to look but somebody in an earlier post gave an example of looking at the levels of religiosity in a society and then forming a conclusion as to standards of living, equality issues for women and gays, human rights abuses etc. Every example you look at the higher the levels of religiosity the more inequalities in society.

I can't remember who it was now and I haven't got time to look but somebody in an earlier post gave an example of looking at the levels of religiosity in a society and then forming a conclusion as to standards of living, equality issues for women and gays, human rights abuses etc. Every example you look at the higher the levels of religiosity the more inequalities in society.

You mean like Norway, Austria, The Vatican State, etc?

The correlation (if there is one) doesn't demonstrate cause. Religiosity could be a reaction to inequality, rather than a cause.

Religiosity could be a reaction to inequality, rather than a cause.

In that case you'd have to ask the question............has it been successful, if so why and if not why not when it's compared to alternate ways of managing people and the societies they live in?

What would your conclusion be?

In that case you'd have to ask the question............has it been successful, if so why and if not why not when it's compared to alternate ways of managing people and the societies they live in?

What would your conclusion be?

It depends on the situation arguably the rise of protestantism in europe facilitated the transfer of power away from the aristocracy

Archived