Advice: Work Trial

My daughter applied for a job and had an interview and was invited to do a trial day. This was yesterday. She worked from 9.30 through to 4.30 without a break .. and was told at the end of the day that she wouldn't be paid for this!

She is supposed to be ringing them, after 6 tonight, to see if she has been successful.

Are they right in not paying her for the trial day ?

My daughter applied for a job and had an interview and was invited to do a trial day. This was yesterday. She worked from 9.30 through to 4.30 without a break .. and was told at the end of the day that she wouldn't be paid for this!

She is supposed to be ringing them, after 6 tonight, to see if she has been successful.

Are they right in not paying her for the trial day ?

Seems very unfair if you ask me, did they say beforehand that she wouldn't be paid?

No they didn't .. they just asked to come in for a trial day. Am sorta chuckling because it's half term and the place she was working at will be horrendously busy at this time (involves children) and is this a way of getting the extra "one supervisor for so many children* for free .. Crafty devils.

Aye .. there is that .. plus she got experience in some things that she hasn't done before, which is the main thing. I'm just bewildered that they didn't inform them that they wouldn't be paid for the 7 hours work they did. But that's companies these days.

She's desperate for work as she is taking a year out from Uni and this limbo time is frustrating.

I'm not that keen on her re. this job as I am unable to drive most of the time, and if she can't get a lift, there are no busses and if she walks .... she walks the route where she was assaulted two years ago. (At this time of year too .. just as the clocks went back)

Saffy I think that you should write to said organisation and tell them of your disappointment. Exploitation of people that's what it is.

It's not so much that she didn't get paid, it's that she should have been told that it was an unpaid trial day.

What kind of organisation is it? Private, public, charity?

• 3 years later...

I know you posted this a while ago but I'm wondering if it is the same organisation that has just done this to my son, and as I've since found out, to another young student I know. Neither of which got contacted to let them know if they had a job after it following working for 7 and a half hours. I am trying to get to the bottom of whether this is just a total scam to get in free labour at busy periods. Is it a soft play area?

Archived