Real ale pubs in Town

jemson

The Red Deer on Pitt Street is now good again.

Here is the full list of pubs which serve at least one real ale in the City Centre (off the top of my head), asterix indicates those with a wider range:

University Arms*

Red Deer*

Bath Hotel*

Wick at Both Ends

Varsity

S1

Swim Inn (Wetherspoons)*

Mentholmans West Street Live

Fagans

Trippets*

Dog & Partridge

Grapes

Devonshire Cat*

Washington

Forum

Common Room

Old House*

Bungalows & Bears

Frog & Parrot

Waterworks (Wetherspoons)*

Yates

Benjaman Huntsman (Wetherspoons)*

Sportsman

Henrys*

Museum

Bessemer

Graduate

Crucible Corner

Brown Bear

Dove & Rainbow*

All Bar One

Three Tuns

Bankers Draft (Wetherspoons)*

Globe

Howard

Old Queens Head

Penny Black

Sheffield Tap*

Showroom

Rutland Arms*

Red Lion

Roebuck

Royal Standard

Lord Nelson

Nelson Rock Bar

This is an extensive list well done for this its impressive, i hope this is just a list and not a pub crawl route. Oh you missed Bungalows and Bears they do a few cask ales.

My OH says 'has anyone mentioned The Wellington near the Shalesmoor tram stop?' Apparently he liked it in there.

This is the one which used to be the "Cask & Cutler". They have their own brewery out the back. I must say I've never had a bad pint there, but in terms of clientele......you're looking at a charabanc outing from the local geek asylum.

This is the one which used to be the "Cask & Cutler". They have their own brewery out the back. I must say I've never had a bad pint there, but in terms of clientele......you're looking at a charabanc outing from the local geek asylum.

Indeed. This encapsulates it perfectly:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4935/rat2.jpg

The staff are a bunch of nice blokes tho :)

Indeed. This encapsulates it perfectly:

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4935/rat2.jpg

The staff are a bunch of nice blokes tho :)

Hey, that is bloody brilliant. Is it from Viz? Problem is, these RATs really exist! Don't get me started on the "bottlers" and the bloke with the shopping trolley...

Agree in the main about the staff...however, on a bad day you can feel like you've just wandered into someone's house by mistake and are being humoured till they can get a police car out....

Do you mind, I happen to be a regular in there!

I remember having a particularly good pint of Lichfield Inspired in there back in '94. It was a deep amber ale with a distinctive sweetness on the tongue...it reminded me of the pint of Old Thossacks Weasel I'd had in The Crescent, Salford back in '86...........

.....and so on and so forth :)

Hey, that is bloody brilliant. Is it from Viz? Problem is, these RATs really exist! Don't get me started on the "bottlers" and the bloke with the shopping trolley...

Agree in the main about the staff...however, on a bad day you can feel like you've just wandered into someone's house by mistake and are being humoured till they can get a police car out....

There are in fact a few of those Viz cartoon strips in the corridor wall in the Wellie. It may get a teeny bit nerdy in there but they aren't too serious about it.

And in any case, I do tend to come across more tickers in the Harlequin!

Do you mind, I happen to be a regular in there!

I remember having a particularly good pint of Lichfield Inspired in there back in '94. It was a deep amber ale with a distinctive sweetness on the tongue...it reminded me of the pint of Old Thossacks Weasel I'd had in The Crescent, Salford back in '86...........

.....and so on and so forth :)

Touche....you can buy me a pint next time I'm in there. I'll be carrying a plastic container of some description lol

My only other impression of the Wellie (as we must now call it) is that there's a lot of bitching about local "competition" - usually the Fat Cat or Kelham Island Tavern (though I don't know how they can think of themselves in the same league as the Kelham).

Archived