The call for a White Rose parliament of YORKSHIRE

I'm sure enough of my tax is wasted on the current regional assemblies in Wales & Scotland without some more morons to prop up. What could a regional assembly possibly achieve that a decently organised Sheffield city council shouldn't already be doing. The same goes for Yorkshire Forward.

How about saving money by amalgamating county councils instead and having fewer politicians - doing more for our money.

It would be a stupid and excessive waste of money to have a yorkshire parliament with a budget. Especially as sheffield isn't really a yorkshire city it would not be all that relevent to us.

What would be more fair would be to have an english parliament or get the scottish mps out when english issues are voted upon. England as a country is under represented in UK politics, most of the concern is purely London, then after that scotland. All the English regions seem to be left way behind. Although with clegg in power we do seem to be hearing a lot about sheffield in the national debates at present.

It would be a stupid and excessive waste of money to have a yorkshire parliament with a budget. Especially as sheffield isn't really a yorkshire city it would not be all that relevent to us.

What would be more fair would be to have an english parliament or get the scottish mps out when english issues are voted upon. England as a country is under represented in UK politics, most of the concern is purely London, then after that scotland. All the English regions seem to be left way behind. Although with clegg in power we do seem to be hearing a lot about sheffield in the national debates at present.

Why isn't Sheffield really a Yorkshire city?

Why isn't Sheffield really a Yorkshire city?

Because a large bulk of it is historic derbyshire, and the people who grow up in the south part of it do not have yorkshire accents. I have always said that sheffield is truly half yorkshire and half derbyshire and I still believe this to be true.

Because a large bulk of it is historic derbyshire, and the people who grow up in the south part of it do not have yorkshire accents. I have always said that sheffield is truly half yorkshire and half derbyshire and I still believe this to be true.

A smallish bit was in Derbyshire - south of the Shire Brook in Jaunty Park as far as I'm aware. More like 90% Yorkshire and 10% thankful to be liberated :hihi:

We should gather the Yorkshire men, march on Chesterfield, chase the southern softies out of South Yorkshire and incorporate Chesterfield into Yorkshire Proper. Maybe let the men of Rotherham take the women, but even they might turn their noses up, in that unlikely event, we could always put them on a bus to Wales.

A smallish bit was in Derbyshire - south of the Shire Brook in Jaunty Park as far as I'm aware. More like 90% Yorkshire and 10% thankful to be liberated :hihi:

That was only 50 years ago. My house in woodseats was built in derbyshire in 1900. I understand that pretty much everything south of moorfoot was derbyshire 200 years ago. Back when sheffield was a town the whole population lived well within the current inner ring road. The moor was still a moor and the junction of London road and Boston street where the cinema frontage remains as a new sainsbury was a derbyshire village called "Little Sheffield".

That was only 50 years ago. My house in woodseats was built in derbyshire in 1900. I understand that pretty much everything south of moorfoot was derbyshire 200 years ago. Back when sheffield was a town the whole population lived well within the current inner ring road. The moor was still a moor and the junction of London road and Boston street where the cinema frontage remains as a new sainsbury was a derbyshire village called "Little Sheffield".

This is about right .....still not sure why the boundries changed.

This is about right .....still not sure why the boundries changed.

Simple, because the slums in the centre were cleared and people moved to the suburbs at the edge and the city expanded. If you look at the date stones of the houses on the main arterial roads you can see a massive expansion happened between about 1870 and 1900. The further out you go the later the date stones are.

Also as you look into the derbyshire border, you can see how it moves south by about 3 or 4 big leaps over the last 200 years to its current position at bowshaw.

Archived