Smoking ban killed the boozers

Going on from the "boarded up pubs in Sheffield" thread, it's no coincidence that many many pubs have closed down due to the smoking ban as things went downhill for ale houses/working mens clubs/bingo halls as soon as it was enforced.

How sad really, i used to like going out for a good beverage with friends and having a smoke with my pint, i don't think i ever heard a non smoker complain when i sparked up, and im sure many non smokers would welcome smoking back in pubs if it brought the customers back which brings the atmosphere back.

How anti social is it going out every 20 minutes for a fag while your pal is sat in the pub waiting for you all the time, no one woiuld put up with that in the long run, hence why loads of people would rather drink at home.

I never visited a pub (by choice) for 25 years until the smoking ban was introduced. I also selected carefull any restaurants for meals and never joined a WMC.

If you can find conclusive evidence than WMC's closed thorugh the smoking ban - whereas i know of several closed for mismanagement.

I never visited a pub (by choice) for 25 years until the smoking ban was introduced. I also selected carefull any restaurants for meals and never joined a WMC.

If you can find conclusive evidence than WMC's closed thorugh the smoking ban - whereas i know of several closed for mismanagement.

As i say its a bit of coincidence how everywhere started shutting down as soon as the smoking ban came into play.

As i say its a bit of coincidence how everywhere started shutting down as soon as the smoking ban came into play.

As the clubs and pubs i know were closed before the ban there's no coincidence.

All the establishments i used to frequent are still open - except the Blue Room.

Perhaps if local pubs weren't the dens of inequity and full of knock off Nigels they may attract more custom. I know at least 3 pubs locally,closed under advisement from the police as they were allowing drug dealing and under age drinking.

I've never known places so unwelcoming than WMC's, even when the stewards were my friends.

We've discussed this before on several different threads and I agree with you Corker. I don't smoke, but I'd rather people were confined to a building where I have the choice to participate in their second hand smoke, than having them wandering about outside, polluting the atmosphere and littering everywhere with their tabends.

I also agree that the conviviality of the pub/club goes when three quarters of the clientele is not present being outside fagging it. It also must cut into their drinking time, therefore cutting the amount in the till.

Lose-lose all ways for both landlords and customers.

As the clubs and pubs i know were closed before the ban there's no coincidence.

All the establishments i used to frequent are still open - except the Blue Room.

Perhaps if local pubs weren't the dens of inequity and full of knock off Nigels they may attract more custom. I know at least 3 pubs locally,closed under advisement from the police as they were allowing drug dealing and under age drinking.

I've never known places so unwelcoming than WMC's, even when the stewards were my friends.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you there, i used to go to the Queens road social club/farm road/carlton and not once did i feel un-welcome they used to be thriving places before the smoking ban.

You mention 3 pubs that have been closed down because of drug dealing, i know what id rather have people smoking in a pub enjoying a night out like they did for generations rather than people dealing drugs in them/outside them.

We've discussed this before on several different threads and I agree with you Corker. I don't smoke, but I'd rather people were confined to a building where I have the choice to participate in their second hand smoke, than having them wandering about outside, polluting the atmosphere and littering everywhere with their tabends.

I also agree that the conviviality of the pub/club goes when three quarters of the clientele is not present being outside fagging it. It also must cut into their drinking time, therefore cutting the amount in the till.

Lose-lose all ways for both landlords and customers.

I used to work at a bingo hall where i would say a good 70% of the clientele smoked, 3 months after the smoking ban came in it closed down, (Queens road mecca).

Say's it all in a nutshell really.

Archived