Smoking ban killed the boozers

the boozers are boarded up because years ago there were far too many but people used them...because it was a cheap night out....but once the breweries had to unload them...they sold off the crap ones....now look around you...cutlers,old harrow,frecheville,bagshaw to name a few....boozers were dying long before the ban came in.....probably the final nail in the coffin...

the boozers are boarded up because years ago there were far too many but people used them...because it was a cheap night out....but once the breweries had to unload them...they sold off the crap ones....now look around you...cutlers,old harrow,frecheville,bagshaw to name a few....boozers were dying long before the ban came in.....probably the final nail in the coffin...

Well said Eastbank

Can smokers even afford to go to the pub?

Practically everyone on minimum wage smokes.

Packet of fags = 1.2 hours

Pint of beer = 0.5 hours

Pie and peas = 1 hour?

They have to spend what 10 hours+ on rent for the week, 2-3 hours for council tax for the week. 10+ hours for food for the week. 10 hours for cigarettes for the week. 4 hours for a bus pass to get to work.

That's their 37 hours wages gone!

And there is also gas, electric, phone, tv license, clothes, furniture etc. to pay for. and probably debt such as credit cards.

They need overtime to survive and even more to afford a trip to the pub.

Taxation is too high on beer and low wage workers. Just a few hundred years ago, men women and children were all drinking beer at a rate of a gallon a day, and only the man worked as the wife was looking after 7 children.

Even the non smokers will struggle to afford a few pints.

I did hear someone on the radio the other day talking about how companies have had to change the purpose of the pub. It did seem that people are wanting their pubs to resemble coffee shops and diners during the day. I was shocked to see one of the chain pubs on Woodseats serving breakfasts and tea. They appeared to have done something right though as the place was packed.

I did hear someone on the radio the other day talking about how companies have had to change the purpose of the pub. It did seem that people are wanting their pubs to resemble coffee shops and diners during the day. I was shocked to see one of the chain pubs on Woodseats serving breakfasts and tea. They appeared to have done something right though as the place was packed.

Yes I work in Wath and the local Wetherspoons has done the same and gets quite busy - i still prefer my egg muffin from Mcd's though :hihi:

Maybe some what have closed down would have survived that nail in the coffin though EB.

Escpecially the Cutlers and the Bagshawe arms they used to be busy in the week aswell as the weekend.

Going on from the "boarded up pubs in Sheffield" thread, it's no coincidence that many many pubs have closed down due to the smoking ban as things went downhill for ale houses/working mens clubs/bingo halls as soon as it was enforced.

How sad really, i used to like going out for a good beverage with friends and having a smoke with my pint, i don't think i ever heard a non smoker complain when i sparked up, and im sure many non smokers would welcome smoking back in pubs if it brought the customers back which brings the atmosphere back.

How anti social is it going out every 20 minutes for a fag while your pal is sat in the pub waiting for you all the time, no one woiuld put up with that in the long run, hence why loads of people would rather drink at home.

I complained about smoke every time I went to a bar/pub/club. I stank of other peoples smelly smoke and my eyes hurt. I would never have gone up to a random person smoking to complain to them though as it was not illegal.

Its much much better now!

The winter months will see a further downturn for many pubs. In the summer months it is not too much hardship smoking outside but the pub we generally go to doesn't have outdoor heating NOR any shelter - I know of many tha are not prepared to go and stand outside in the freezing cold and will likely drink at home more during the winter. I think the pubs with more decent smoking shelters will fair lightly better.

Going on from the "boarded up pubs in Sheffield" thread, it's no coincidence that many many pubs have closed down due to the smoking ban as things went downhill for ale houses/working mens clubs/bingo halls as soon as it was enforced.

How sad really, i used to like going out for a good beverage with friends and having a smoke with my pint, i don't think i ever heard a non smoker complain when i sparked up, and im sure many non smokers would welcome smoking back in pubs if it brought the customers back which brings the atmosphere back.

How anti social is it going out every 20 minutes for a fag while your pal is sat in the pub waiting for you all the time, no one woiuld put up with that in the long run, hence why loads of people would rather drink at home.

There are actually more licenced premises now than there were when the smoking ban was introduced. But lets not let the facts stand in the way of a good rant.

There are actually more licenced premises now than there were when the smoking ban was introduced. But lets not let the facts stand in the way of a good rant.

Is that fact?

Where are they? Given that lots of pubs seem to be boarded up or turned into offices etc - have they built some new ones that we're not aware of to replace them?

Archived