Smoking ban killed the boozers

I complained about smoke every time I went to a bar/pub/club. I stank of other peoples smelly smoke and my eyes hurt. I would never have gone up to a random person smoking to complain to them though as it was not illegal.

Its much much better now!

Just you in the pub on your own :)

the boozers are boarded up because years ago there were far too many but people used them...because it was a cheap night out....but once the breweries had to unload them...they sold off the crap ones....now look around you...cutlers,old harrow,frecheville,bagshaw to name a few....boozers were dying long before the ban came in.....probably the final nail in the coffin...
Nail on the head spot on.

What's your problem. If as you claim pubs have no customers you won't have any problem finding one that will welcome your business.

I don't have a problem. It's simply a discussion. The discussion is to do with pubs closing in great numbers since the smoking ban. It's not particularly about none smokers slating smokers or vise versa - we've had all those threads before! It is fact, whether you're a smoker or non smoker, that the smoking ban has had a great effect on the survival of pubs and if you speak to most landloard I think they will confirm that. As for cafe bars - like you say most young un's prefer them - the world is not full of teenagers and I am not one! I do go in pubs that welcome my business - unfortunately they tend to be very empty these days.

Why not ban smoking full stop then?

Oh by the way im suprised you agreed with the sentiments of the thread as it says Smokling ban, im surprised no-ones pulled me up on that yet lol :hihi:

Can I also point out you spelt exercise (excersise) wrong too :help: and dont go picking up on all my spelling mistakes you'll be here all day :D

The pubco's killed the pubs with their exhorbitant rents and product pricing structures, not smok'l'ing!

I'll not disagree with you there that that has some input but it is still the case that the smoking ban finished off the struggling pub trade. The numbers of smokers visiting pubs will drop significantly in the winter as opposed to the summer when it is comfortable to be outside.

Yes I work in Wath and the local Wetherspoons has done the same and gets quite busy - i still prefer my egg muffin from Mcd's though :hihi:

The McD's breakfast is the greatest thing to come out of the USA. Fact.

I must say that I also think prices have done a lot of damage. I remember last month I went to town with a cousin and we we're both shocked to only pay about £1.30 for a pint. Normally it's over twice that in the evening.

Archived