Smoking ban killed the boozers

But the fact is they're not, if they were pubs wouldn't be closing would they ?

According to news reports there are now more licensed premises than before the smoking ban. They are opening faster than they are closing. So your "facts" are wrong.

According to news reports there are now more licensed premises than before the smoking ban. They are opening faster than they are closing. So your "facts" are wrong.

I thoguht we were talking about "pubs" not "licensed premises" which could be anything.

But you're basing all this on banning smoking in pubs, I'll say it again, its the price of the drink that is finishing off the pub trade. Also the trend has shifted from being a predominant male preserve to bringing families into pubs and changing the customer base. The likes of Wetherspoons 'hoovering' up all the small pub business with their massive buying power advantage. You notice the Wetherspoons pubs are still doing a brisk trade, what does that tell you?

The days of men sat in WMC on Sunday lunchtime, smoking and toddling off home while the little wifey cooks a big roast dinner are fortunately mostly consigned to Room 101!

I was down in London a couple of weeks ago. I popped into a Wetherspoons for lunch. Steak and chips £4.99 and a pint of Bishops Finger £1.80. That night I went into a pubco pub and was charged £4.60 for a pint of mediocre.

I'm just saying we won't know for sure unless we reverse the ban and see what happens, but that won't happen.

I put the small pub business demise directly at the feet of these big discount pub company's. Where I live Morrisons, Sainsbury's and the like have put the local bakers, butchers and grocers we once had, out of business with their massive buying power, the one man business can't compete with that.

As for allowing smoking in pubs again, like you say, it'll never happen, thank God.

I thoguht we were talking about "pubs" not "licensed premises" which could be anything.

As has been discussed on this thread the smoking ban has shifted the emphasis towards families and eating. A few pubs are closing. Most reopen a few weeks later with a new landlord, but those that don't are being replaced by many more cafe bars and clubs.

I put the small pub business demise directly at the feet of these big discount pub company's. Where I live and the like have put the local bakers, butchers and grocers we once had, out of business with their massive buying power, the one man business can't compete with that.

As for allowing smoking in pubs again, like you say, it'll never happen, thank God.

Morrisons, Sainsbury's et al don't allow smoking either. That hasn't had too much effect on their trade.

I was down in London a couple of weeks ago. I popped into a Wetherspoons for lunch. Steak and chips £4.99 and a pint of Bishops Finger £1.80. That night I went into a pubco pub and was charged £4.60 for a pint of mediocre.

And I bet the Wetherspoons pub was packed wasn't it? I've regularly been in the Willow Walk Wetherspoons in Victoria, I can't say I've ever been in when its not extremely busy. Where does the smoking theory come in that?

As has been discussed on this thread the smoking ban has shifted the emphasis towards families and eating. A few pubs are closing. Most reopen a few weeks later with a new landlord, but those that don't are being replaced by many more cafe bars and clubs.

Thats not what I see happening in the real world outside of the city centre.

The pubs I frequent round here are always busy. Maybe its something to do with the good choice of real ales on offer. From my experience, the pubs which shut are those which sell nothing but Carling, Fosters, John Smiths and Guinness, and they deserve to close down for selling such toilet water.

The pubs I frequent round here are always busy. Maybe its something to do with the good choice of real ales on offer. From my experience, the pubs which shut are those which sell nothing but Carling, Fosters, John Smiths and Guinness, and they deserve to close down for selling such toilet water.

Back of the net!!! Dead right!

Archived