Smoking ban killed the boozers

That's isn't really what the article is saying though is it?

"armingly, while overall cancer deaths are slowly declining, those linked to obesity and drinking are rising."

meaning in the future they may be as responsible as smoking (once everyone cuts down on smoking) ?

should we be limiting peoples intake of alcohol now to prevent a future rise ?

Interesting.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-180409/Cancer-biggest-male-killer.html

What will be banned next in the cause of reducing cancer, beer and food by the looks of it.

"armingly, while overall cancer deaths are slowly declining, those linked to obesity and drinking are rising."

meaning in the future they may be as responsible as smoking (once everyone cuts down on smoking) ?

should we be limiting peoples intake of alcohol now to prevent a future rise ?

How is that linked to the smoking ban?

The ban was to protect the public and employees in public buildings.

How is that linked to the smoking ban?

The ban was to protect the public and employees in public buildings.

Now people aren't at risk from public smoke, but they are at risk from other cancer causing things, what's to say the government won't crack down on those next "for our own good" ?

I'm pretty sure more people die from beer and obesity related cancer than passive smoking, the government could save even more lives.

I'm not disputing the statistics you quoted. Nor am I arguing that smoking is harmless - it certainly is not!

BUT: Nobody has managed to persuade a court that ANY individual who contracted lung cancer did so because (s)he smoked.

That was what I said.

Beer said: "If you believe that, you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land."

I invited him (and the invitation is open to you and anybody else) to "Tell us when any court in any jurisdiction upheld a claim - a claim which was not subsequently overturned by a higher court in the same jurisdiction - that an individual contracted lung cancer through smoking (and not through some other reason.)"

Now people aren't at risk from public smoke, but they are at risk from other cancer causing things, what's to say the government won't crack down on those next "for our own good" ?

So smoking in public buildings perfectly safe is it?

I guess smokers just filter those toxins right out of the air.

Erm, no, did I say it was ?

I was saying that it's probably not the biggest cause of cancer in non-smokers, especially now, and the government should look at some of the more major causes. everyone is in favour of the NHS not treating smokers (they deserve it after all don't they) but wait until it's people who drink or are fat that are the targets.

Whether you like it or not, the smoking ban has gone some way to the decline of the pub trade.

Thats the most accurate comment on the whole thread. Its not the cause of the decline but it has contributed.

If a smoking ban was the root cause of cessation of trade both bus and aircraft companies would have ceased trading.

I guess smokers just filter those toxins right out of the air.

Get over your self will you??? You make out like every time someone lights up someone drops dead!! Haven't you got other things to worry about? :loopy:

Archived