Smoking ban killed the boozers

I'm not disputing the statistics you quoted. Nor am I arguing that smoking is harmless - it certainly is not!

BUT: Nobody has managed to persuade a court that ANY individual who contracted lung cancer did so because (s)he smoked.

That was what I said.

Beer said: "If you believe that, you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land."

I invited him (and the invitation is open to you and anybody else) to "Tell us when any court in any jurisdiction upheld a claim - a claim which was not subsequently overturned by a higher court in the same jurisdiction - that an individual contracted lung cancer through smoking (and not through some other reason.)"

Is this were the complainant has to convince the court that big tobacco is liable for their lung cancer because they didn't understand the effects smoking would have on their heath?

A nice little get out clause for the tobacco companies, after all who could dispute the information out there that smoking can seriously damage your health? Especially that smoking causes 90% of lung cancers. Which in itself is the largest cancer killer of them all.

Now people aren't at risk from public smoke, but they are at risk from other cancer causing things, what's to say the government won't crack down on those next "for our own good" ?

I'm pretty sure more people die from beer and obesity related cancer than passive smoking, the government could save even more lives.

Erm, no, did I say it was ?

That's what you said, not at risk.

So does not at risk = safe?

People have to fly and get the bus, they don't have to go out to the pub though.

No they don't - they choose to get a bus or fly. Obviously the need to visit a pub is not of sufficient importance to make going without a fag worthwhile.

There are more cinema screens today than here were in the years before the smoking ban in cinemas was introduced.

No they don't - they choose to get a bus or fly. Obviously the need to visit a pub is not of sufficient importance to make going without a fag worthwhile.

There are more cinema screens today than here were in the years before the smoking ban in cinemas was introduced.

Sitting and watching a film is a little different than the traditional act of working class man going to the pub after work to smoke & drink isn't it?

Archived