Smoking ban killed the boozers

Didn't they start shutting down several years before that, if you look closely...

Sheffield had around 1900 pubs in 1850 when population wasonly around 200,000. The number had fallen to about 450 by the year 2000.

I would love one of the "smoking killed our pubs" brigate to explain that one.

Afterwards they could try to explain why the number of on sales outlets for alcohol has increased since the smoking ban.

It's the prices, not the smoking ban that keeps me away from pubs. £7 for 2 glasses of wine is too much! I'd rather invite friends to my home and enjoy a social evening than be overcharged like that in a public house. Or - sometimes we go out to the new style bar restaurants that seem to be taking over as premises are refurbished and we have one or two drinks with a meal.

Also, don't you think there are so many other things available to do these days than sit in a pub drinking [smoking] every night?

A few years ago we had few options if we wanted a drink. It was the pub for a cheap pint or the off licence if you wanted a pint at twice the price. Restaurants were few and charged a fortune for food and drink

Now the world has changed. We often buy booze cheaply from the supermarket and have drinks parties with friends. We still go to the pub, but just as often go to the cafe bars on Eccy Road, West Street, Division Street etc etc. The places are all over the city. We eat out several times a week, sometimes at a proper restaurant but more often brunch at a Tapas bar. All these places have improved since smoking was removed.

You feel sorry for the folks stood around outside, but if they can manage a trans-atlantic flight without a fag I would have thought they could manage a couple of hours over a meal or a drink. Its their choice.

Most of the pubs I know or frequent seem busier now than before the ban - but then, there are hardly any smokers.

I avoided pubs before the ban if they were smoke-filled, and find it to be the best law passed that I can remember.

Most of the pubs I know or frequent seem busier now than before the ban - but then, there are hardly any smokers.

I avoided pubs before the ban if they were smoke-filled, and find it to be the best law passed that I can remember.

Here here.. Try getting served at the Milestone, Fat Cat or Kelham Island Tavern. They are usually packed to the rafters. The smoking ban must have increased their trade because the pavements outside are now extra bar space.

Archived