Retiring will kill you.

Was just listening to something on the Radio about Bernie Ecclestone and the subject of retiring was mentioned.

It's thought that after working for 40+ years and then suddenly stopping is bad for the mind and body. Ultimately both give up. It's argued that whilst working you're constantly experiencing new things, meeting new people and learning new tasks. All of which lead to a healthier mind and body.

Now I know that there are a lot of people on here who will scoff at the idea of retiring later but if it meant you living longer and healthier, would you work your whole life?

My parents are both retired and have active, healthy and extremely busy lives!

The day my dad finished work for good, they got on a ferry that same night to move to Ireland. New country, new friends, new hobbies etc all mean they aren't by any means 'stopped'. That's the way to retire, not sitting in the same old house twiddling your thumbs waiting until you die!

Edit - no I wouldn't work forever to be 'healthier', mainly because I think that's a load of rubbish!

I can literally become ill through boredom. I work part time and notice that, if I feel a bit rough first thing in the morning, I can forget all about it as soon as I get to work. On the other hand, I can spend a whole day at home feeling sorry for myself.

I'm afraid I'm with Bernie Ecclestone on this and will continue to work for as long as I can.

From what I've observed and heard over the years, it's not necessarily sticking to your day job that matters. Retiring's not a problem if the person has something lined up to work at or be involved in; charity work, new activities, a lifelong dream etc. It's when they think having all that time off is going to be relaxing, or like a long holiday, only to find they lose a sense of purpose and sometimes the will to live ebbs away too. I think it can be harder for those who tend to define themselves by what they do, then find themselves without a status in the world, it can be quite a come down.

Was just listening to something on the Radio about Bernie Ecclestone and the subject of retiring was mentioned.

It's thought that after working for 40+ years and then suddenly stopping is bad for the mind and body. Ultimately both give up. It's argued that whilst working you're constantly experiencing new things, meeting new people and learning new tasks. All of which lead to a healthier mind and body.

Now I know that there are a lot of people on here who will scoff at the idea of retiring later but if it meant you living longer and healthier, would you work your whole life?

I am retired. I constantly experience new things, meet new people and set myself to learn new tasks. These are not necessarily the preserve of the young or the working. :)

I would say my mind is healthier than it's ever been. (But then I would, would'nt I. :D) I walk miles with my dog and occasionly feel mad enough to don shorts and go running in the rain.

It comes down to how well you know yourself and what you identify with IMO.

I'm guessing that if we took a straw poll on here most people would say they did not enjoy their work and classed it as a daily "chore." Same journey there and back every day, same working environment, same faces around you, and so on.

How often do you think Bernie Ecclestone has had that experience? :)

I am retired. I constantly experience new things, meet new people and set myself to learn new tasks. These are not necessarily the preserve of the young or the working. :)

I would say my mind is healthier than it's ever been. (But then I would, would'nt I. :D) I walk miles with my dog and occasionly feel mad enough to don shorts and go running in the rain.

It comes down to how well you know yourself and what you identify with IMO.

I'm guessing that if we took a straw poll on here most people would say they did not enjoy their work and classed it as a daily "chore." Same journey there and back every day, same working environment, same faces around you, and so on.

How often do you think Bernie Ecclestone has had that experience? :)

Perhaps the people who stay in the same boring job day in day out are the very ones who when they retire don't know how to stimulate themselves. Maybe it's in their nature. If I saw work as a chore I would change the type of work, as I have done many times.

Archived