Retiring will kill you.

Perhaps the people who stay in the same boring job day in day out are the very ones who when they retire don't know how to stimulate themselves. Maybe it's in their nature. If I saw work as a chore I would change the type of work, as I have done many times.

Good for you Tony!

You made choices. :thumbsup: How many people do you suppose don't even see that they too have choices?

I can literally become ill through boredom. I work part time and notice that, if I feel a bit rough first thing in the morning, I can forget all about it as soon as I get to work. On the other hand, I can spend a whole day at home feeling sorry for myself.

I'm afraid I'm with Bernie Ecclestone on this and will continue to work for as long as I can.

I've never suffered from boredom. "I'm bored" was never allowed to be said by my kids. There is/was always something to do and it just needs a bit of imagination to find something.

I retired 8 years ago as a promise I made to myself when both my parents died before reaching retirement and now I often wonder how I ever found time to work in the first place.

I don't need to be being out and about being entertained, I enjoy pottering, not having to do everything "by the clock" and not having to answer to others.

Having said that, I've always been happy enough in my own company so I don't get lonely either.

This is very true for pilots. There is a very high number of pilots who, after working for so long in a high pressure environment etc, after retiring, die within 6 months to a year.

Wow..it looks crazy. i have wished to be a pilot since i was young ,but now, i think i should deeply consider 'bout it~

I started work at 16 and retired 3 years ago. No regrets from me. I enjoyed my work but dont miss it.

Golf, travel, fishing, keeping physically fit, reading, writing and posting rubbish on the SF seem to fill the day pretty much as well as receving the occasional "Honey Do" list from the missus

It's thought that after working for 40+ years and then suddenly stopping is bad for the mind and body. Ultimately both give up. It's argued that whilst working you're constantly experiencing new things, meeting new people and learning new tasks. All of which lead to a healthier mind and body.

That a complete load of rot and just anecdotal as there is no real evidence or studies into it. If it were true then we would have fewer retired people. I'm not far off retirement myself and cant wait for it to come along and I think those who cant cope with retirement must be leading very boring lonely lives.

I didn't hear the interview but should we take notice of a multi millionaires idea of what retirement means? It sound just like media hype to get us to accept the idea of retiring later as a good thing when its not.

I also think the baby boomer generation, who broke down so many barriers along the way, have done the same to the traditional expectations of retirement years.

We did! ;) I just wish I'd been one of the really well off baby boomers, who could have afforded to retire much earlier!

I retired from full time work at 60, but for the next 4 years I kept finding part time work - the extra money was a help. Finished last December for good (I think) but have little time to get bored. I regularly visit family, meet friends for coffee, I've joined a health walking group, I read, garden, and do a little bit of voluntary stuff. None of it costs much, but the freedom (after working for years) is fantastic. Although I enjoyed certain aspects of my work - I miss it not.

I've worked out that the most important thing for me in retirement is being able to stay fit and well enough to enjoy it. Hopefully for many years to come.

There is a difference between 'retiring' - as in no longer working full-time at a paid job which you've probably been doing for some time - and 'giving up on life'.

30 or 40 years ago people often had one job from leaving school to retirement. Nowadays, many people have 'career changes' - either voluntary or involuntary - and may 'retire' 2 or 3 times.

Archived