Jsa v state pension

single jsa claimant £65,single pensioner£130.

considering the jsa claimant is expected to find work,phone calls,stamps,travel to interviews.....just wondered how come there was such a wide gap between the two.

Personally i couldnt live on £65,is this the reason the rate is so low?as an incentive to actually find work?

I'd say it is impossible to live on £65 a week.

Clearly pensioners have paid into the system all their working lives so they should be guaranteed a 'comfortable' standard of living, but that said, I'd like to see JSA go up to a more reasonable level for those seeking work. It certainly isn't a lifestyle choice.

Its true that JSA is £65 per week. On top you claim for housing benefit (easier if you rent, not so easy - or quick - if you have a mortgage. Also you get council tax.

The £65 is used to run the house. I calculated some time ago that after utilities it leaves around £1.75 per day for everything else.

It is impossible to run a house and live on JSA.

It's a relief reading this thread, it was starting to feel as if the country had collectively fallen for the 'benefits scum are all living in luxury and robbing the noble hard working man in the street they are scum' line.

There are probably a few who think that, but I think more people are frustrated with the fact that some people choose not to work and manage to have a fairly nice life living on benefits. No doubt there are far more people who would love a job and struggle to just about survive living on benefits.

I have issues with everybody claiming JSA receiving the same rate. Although I think it a bit lower for younger people.

It gets right on my nerves that if people are living with their parents for example, it's likely that the JSA is used as disposable income.

People running a property on their own should have some sort of supplementary income because as I say, it's impossible to run a house on £65 per week. For people currently going through loss of job, be prepared to get into considerable debt with credit cards or doorstep lenders.

isnt it also true a pensioner on basic pension ALSO gets assistance with housing costs?ie housing benefit and council tax benefit?i know my dad did,and free transport,ie the bus pass.Also,iv read that pensioners may get a rise amounting to around £40 per week,making the gap between the jsa and pensioner even GREATER!!

Im in no way anti pensioner,im just looking at the massive gap between two people on welfare and our expectations from them both,the equality of everyday life.

Personally,i think the popular press,via the coalition, primed us all with these nasty benefit scrounger type stories,so as to quell any popular sympathy amongst the population for the comming cuts to benefit!

Iv applied the £65 to my lifestyle,then i did a personal mini budget,id have to cut back VERY heavily on things i now take for granted,ie car,internet,utilities usage,fags,beer,buy MUCH cheaper food......and yet,id still need money to acsess job opportunities,further to this,living a VERY basic lifestyle,under current plans,id lose 10% housing benefit after 12 months,which would make my jsa under £58 pw!!!

Monthly income from JSA is £260.

Direct debits (phone and broadband £30, Gas & Elec £80, Water £17, TV Licence £36/quarter, Insurance £32). Note no budget for car, bus fares or mobile phone.

Total outgoings £195

You do the maths! (Question to coalition, not forumers)

Archived