Jsa v state pension

Monthly income from JSA is £260.

Direct debits (phone and broadband £30, Gas & Elec £80, Water £17, TV Licence £36/quarter, Insurance £32). Note no budget for car, bus fares or mobile phone.

Total outgoings £195

You do the maths! (Question to coalition, not forumers)

No axe to grind either way but you've taken a quarter's tv licence off in a month...so total outgoings should be £24 less..?

Monthly income from JSA is £260.

Direct debits (phone and broadband £30, Gas & Elec £80, Water £17, TV Licence £36/quarter, Insurance £32). Note no budget for car, bus fares or mobile phone.

Total outgoings £195

You do the maths! (Question to coalition, not forumers)

Doh, I forgot the budget for food!

In £260, out £195, leaves £65 per month for food or if you budget weekly over a four week period £16.25p. I've yet to find any food outlet that will sell a weekly food allowance for that.

Personally,i think the popular press,via the coalition, primed us all with these nasty benefit scrounger type stories,so as to quell any popular sympathy amongst the population for the comming cuts to benefit!

Nail on head. The message of hatred and contempt from the media and passing comments in daily life would also make it difficult to maintain self respect over any length of time which doesn't help in trying to make a new start. There does seem to be a concerted campaign now to target the most vulnerable which is ugly, and I think is going to get a lot worse.

The idea that people will let themselves be swept along in scapegoating the poorest as punishment for the recklessness of the richest makes me feel physically ill.

How can you compare the two, Jsa is for people trying to find work, state pension is for the over 60/65s are you saying that pensioners go back to work as well.

No of course not. It's a comparison of benefit allowance thats all. On what people are expected to live on.

A lot of pensioners live on the poverty line with the statutory minimum pension allowance. I'm sure all will agree with that.

How can you compare the two, Jsa is for people trying to find work, state pension is for the over 60/65s are you saying that pensioners go back to work as well.

No,not at all,im just looking at the figures and asking WHY is there such a MASSIVE difference between 2 people out of work,and wondering what the reason is for such a massive gap.

JSA is given to help those unemployed stay alive, its not given out to fund a lifestyle.

Broadband is a luxury, TV is a luxury, mobile phones are a luxury, insurance a luxury. Once you take away the luxuries there is an extra £73 PM to spend.

Trouble is when people are out of work some still expect to keep those luxuries that the employed can afford.

Quote by staninoodle:

"Personally,i think the popular press,via the coalition, primed us all with these nasty benefit scrounger type stories,so as to quell any popular sympathy amongst the population for the comming cuts to benefit!"

As already commented..Nail on head!

JSA was originally introduced as Unemployment Benefit, which was meant to keep people afloat between jobs with an expectation that it would be short term - which for some, in recent years, just hasn't been the case. The worst hit people out of work are single people who live alone and are on basic JSA. A single person choosing to share accommodation, or living with family is in a much better financial position.

People who can't work long term due to health conditions will get more from the government to help them manage, which is as it should be - just as pensioners get more. However, many of us pensioners get our state pension based on our NI contributions, and if we are part of a couple get nothing like the quoted amount opf £130 - which includes pension credits. Basic pension for a single person (based on full NI contributions) is £97.

Archived