Union Carbide site off claywheels lane

fox20thc

Originally posted by BW_resident

Hi,

I'm new to sheffield forum - actually joined just 'cos I thought some of you would be interested to know that this development is not all on 'Brown Field site' .... there is a plan to demolish some residential properties and the residents of these didn't know anything about the public consultation meetings- strange eh?

And they call it 'Beeley Wood Susutainable community development' well they don't seem to be sustaining our community!

Surely any properties earmarked to demolition would have been notified a long time ago? Is it to make way for the bypass?

No, where our houses currently stand will be offices (according to the 'master plan'). Although the additional traffic will go right past our front garden (if its still there).

It appears that there are no rules about who you do and don't have to consult prior to putting in a planning appliaction which is how we seem to have slipped through the net. Once the planning application for the road went in we all got letters about that and visited the council to see the plans, that is how we found aout about the planned offices! Now we know we are trying to get our point of view across :rant: but we seem to be playing catch-up!

...this development is not all on 'Brown Field site' .... there is a plan to demolish some residential properties

That's what 'brown field' means. Land on which there has already been buildings. In contrast to 'green field' - land on which there has never been buildings. Both completely different to 'green belt', which contains both brownfield sites and greenfield sites.

--

JGH

Originally posted by jgharston

That's what 'brown field' means. Land on which there has already been buildings. In contrast to 'green field' - land on which there has never been buildings. Both completely different to 'green belt', which contains both brownfield sites and greenfield sites.

--

JGH

The actual definition of 'brownfield' is a site that has previously been used for industrial (or some commercial) purposes. Any such land that has subsequently been reclaimed for residential purposes is no longer brownfield.

Don't worry though, anywhere within about 10 miles of a Union Carbide site is definitely brownfield. In fact, it's probably unsuitable for human habitation for the next 1000 years and you'd fare better jumping on the next plane to Chernobyl.

.... there is a plan to demolish some residential properties and the residents of these didn't know anything about the public consultation meetings- strange eh?

And they call it 'Beeley Wood Susutainable community development' well they don't seem to be sustaining our community!

And I thought that in the case of a proposed or planned development affecting residential property the occupants of that property had to be notified in writing at an early stage in the procedure and kept informed at each stage of the process so that they had the opportunity to object ?

Is this not the case ? What do your local city councillors have to say ?

Nope. Anyone can submit a planning application for any piece of land to do anything with it.

At the time of submission it is necessary to inform the owner, but only at that point. There is no further responsibility to write to them, inform them of anything or ask for any permissions.

Originally posted by defstef

The actual definition of 'brownfield' is a site that has previously been used for industrial (or some commercial) purposes. Any such land that has subsequently been reclaimed for residential purposes is no longer brownfield.

When I had Planning Training I was instructed that brownfield is land that has have development on. Not industrial, not commercial, just buildings. That's how so many developments in the South West are classed as brownfield where the owner demolishes a big Victorian house and builds 50 brownfield flats on the site.

Originally posted by jgharston

When I had Planning Training I was instructed that brownfield is land that has have development on. Not industrial, not commercial, just buildings. That's how so many developments in the South West are classed as brownfield where the owner demolishes a big Victorian house and builds 50 brownfield flats on the site.

Not necessarily true, I was reading that was the argument with the swfc training ground planning, they said that as some of the land has had changing rooms ect. on it the site qualifies as brownfield, the planners say otherwise.

Archived