Union Carbide site off claywheels lane

fox20thc

They can provide, but whether they are used is another matter. Same with the red dog waste bins, and even normal litter bins.. Horse to water, and all that. :(

I couldn't agree more Henrietta. Middlewood Park has a dog waste bin and its well used. If you have a dog, pick up after it!

• 1 month later...

It has been our understanding that Menta’s development plans incorporate mixed usage of housing,light industry and offices.

I have now discovered that due to conflicting development plans at Foxhill this may not be the final outcome.

" I think there is little doubt that the proposals for new business and industry on some of the land, and a new bridge link to Middlewood Rd will be seen as beneficial to the need to ensure a continuing supply of suitable land to provide jobs and investment which are so critical to the City's future. Jobs in modern industries and offices offer local employment with control over potential nuisance to existing residents.

The proposal to build new houses and apartments at UCAR is a relatively recent one, which differs from the initial vision, but which potentially offers to inject some funds into bringing forward infrastructure for business as well as houses. Generally Sheffield has a very adequate supply of land for housing, and the Housing Market Renewal Initiative recognises that if we are to regenerate areas of low demand and market failure, there is a need to shift housing investment to new areas to underpin community renewal. The issue with the UCAR housing proposals is whether the potential benefits are outweighed by potential harm to the other objectives of creating sustainable well served communities, tackling weak demand in the areas which suffer from it, and ensuring an adequate supply of land for modern business so that jobs are not lost through lack of sites that meet developers needs. It is also important that any new housing is located well for access to public transport, shops, schools etc. Until there are major improvements to the infrastructure this site does not meet this criteria."

So residents of wadsley park village, beeleywood and Middlewood what do you want to see there. Mixed usage of housing, light industry and offices or

The city needs a range of business sites in all areas to meet the needs of existing and new enterprises, and maximise inward or internal investment. Too many firms have to occupy outdated and poor premises, or find the choice of new premises too restricted.
all commercial/industrial units.

Lets see you walk your dog through an industrial park instead? The investigating officers are to give their opinion to the board of what type of construction should be our neighbour on 11th April. Menta still want to include housing, it appears certain people do not.

Hi,

Seeing as we already walk the dogs in an industrial area (i.e. claywheels lane as it currently stands) it will make no difference.

Unfortunately the road bridge bringing traffic chaos is still planned - I doubt a queue of 60 or more cars and the associated noise, pollution and accident rates will make it a plesant place to walk whatever the usage. :( Not a particularly safe route to school for your children elither fox?

(The number 60 comes from menta's transport assessment and in my opinion is an under estimate - given that the same survey says that the queue of cars on Penistone road at leppings lane roundabout is not more than 4 cars currently!)

Nope. Anyone can submit a planning application for any piece of land to do anything with it.

At the time of submission it is necessary to inform the owner, but only at that point. There is no further responsibility to write to them, inform them of anything or ask for any permissions.

I thought that you could only plan to do anything with any piece of land at its OUTLINE PLANNING PERMISSION stage; which is slightly different to Planning Permission?

No, what I said is correct.

You require a detail consent before you can build anything but you can make an outline application for various reasons, including cost, testing the water, flushing out opponents, etc.

A site with an outline consent still has consent, but it must then go have its detail consented before legal construction. There's then another derivitive which uses conditions, but we're getting into the real meat and bone of Planning Legislation adn procedure and it's always very application / site specific.

You can make either type of application on any land, whether you own it or not.

Hi,

Seeing as we already walk the dogs in an industrial area (i.e. claywheels lane as it currently stands) it will make no difference.

Unfortunately the road bridge bringing traffic chaos is still planned - I doubt a queue of 60 or more cars and the associated noise, pollution and accident rates will make it a plesant place to walk whatever the usage. :( Not a particularly safe route to school for your children elither fox?

(The number 60 comes from menta's transport assessment and in my opinion is an under estimate - given that the same survey says that the queue of cars on Penistone road at leppings lane roundabout is not more than 4 cars currently!)

But would it not be more important to ensure the road bridge and subsequent traffic is managed if residential areas are there rather that industrial who have no issues with traffic noise ect? If the site is purely commercial/industrial would that not increase traffic flow even more?

I expect that the impact of additional traffic from industrial or residential uses of Clay Wheels Lane will be minor compared to that from the bridge. And lets not forget the impact that has on existing residents.

If the bridge were not built the aditional traffic from industrial uses would have least impact on current residents as this traffic would be concentrated during the day (not at evenings, weekends and bank hols when traffic is currently very quiet) but the traffic from the bridge and residential properties would be all day every day. Unfortunately Menta see the bridge as essential and have not been able to make any suggestions as to how this additional traffic could make less of an impact on current residents.

Unfortunately Menta see the bridge as essential and have not been able to make any suggestions as to how this additional traffic could make less of an impact on current residents.

I think you may find that the city council is quite keen on the bridge also.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived