Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

The police deal with the law breakers.

Apprently not, with the amount of women texting and talking on mobile phones whilst driving on the M18. This motorway must be the worst in the country for that practice

Edited by esme
quote tags

that every time you change lanes on any road ......you are taking a small risk, so surely, within reason, one should try to limit how often one changes lanes.

I usualy stick to the middle lane and keep up a steady 70mph all the way, that way anyone wanting to overtake can go into the fast lane

You two really don't get it do you? :rolleyes:

You are both defending your right to minimise lane changes but are quite happy to make other people change lanes to accommodate you. You then then slag off anyone who actually gets annoyed by your actions.

Please tell me you are both just having a laugh, and in real life you both actually drive safely and considerately.

John X

I agree. I get really peed off with drivers up my backside flashing in the fast lane because I'm not going fast enough for these morons...

You do know that the appropriate action when someone is driving too close behind you is to slow down: you cannot adjust the gap they leave to make it appropriate to the speed, so you must adjust your speed so it is appropriate to the gap.

Of course, if they flash as well, then they are presumably warning you of a hazard, so you should definitely slow down.

I usually travel in lane one at night (even at 70mph)
I travel in lane one all of the time (unless overtaking in lanes 2 or 3). Even over 70 mph. The rule really is as clear and simple as posted by John X and vwkittie: drive left, overtake right.

I don't mind the two>three>two>one lane change (if the middle lane guy/gal is simply slow to get back to lane one), but to be fair if the middle lane hogger is steady and all clear around, I'll just not bother and undertake. If they can't be *rsed driving properly, why should I :rolleyes:

These days, middle lane hoggers manage to irritate me only slightly less than lane three hoggers. At rush hour on the M1 South, sticking to lane one from Jct 34 all the way to just past Jct 33, you can usually undertake tens and tens of cars, and again between the M18 turn off and Jct 31 :loopy:

Edited by L00b

I travel in lane one all of the time (unless overtaking in lanes 2 or 3). Even over 70 mph. The rule really is as clear and simple as posted by John X and vwkittie: drive left, overtake right.

I don't mind the two>three>two>one lane change (if the middle lane guy/gal is simply slow to get back to lane one), but to be fair if the middle lane hogger is steady and all clear around, I'll just not bother and undertake. If they can't be *rsed driving properly, why should I :rolleyes:

These days, middle lane hoggers manage to irritate me only slightly less than lane three hoggers. At rush hour on the M1 South, sticking to lane one from Jct 34 all the way to just past Jct 33, you can usually undertake tens and tens of cars, and again between the M18 turn off and Jct 31 :loopy:

The irony being when lane 3 see that happening is the only time they'll change lane.

Mod Note

Posts containing personal insults have been deleted, debate the issue without the name calling or the thread may be closed and the perpetrators may face further action

You two really don't get it do you? :rolleyes:

You are both defending your right to minimise lane changes but are quite happy to make other people change lanes to accommodate you. You then then slag off anyone who actually gets annoyed by your actions.

Please tell me you are both just having a laugh, and in real life you both actually drive safely and considerately.

John X

so when im driving at 70 you want me to be in the left hand lane and pull out into the middle lane for every single car i need to overtake?? id rather just stick to the middle lane thanks and not be in anyones way. The people doing more than 70 will be in the right hand lane anyway if they have any sense.

your trying to say its safer for cars to overtake cars that are already overtaking then all try and squeeze back in the left hand lane, it makes no sense.

Its simple- if your not overtaking you should be in the left hand lane- no matter what speed your vehicle is legally allowed to do!

If you ever pull into the other 2 lanes it should be to overtake ONLY- and then you move over to the far left lane again when its safe to do so.

Anyone doing different to that are totally irresponsible and are risking both their own and other road users lifes by there stupidity!!!

Its not hard!