Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

But should "one way" be hyphenated? Google images of street signs says not. :)

It is irrelevant whether it should be hyphenated or not.

I hyphenated it and your comment was in response to and referenced, my post. ;)

John X

The problem with this is you're narrowing the road and creating a funnel effect.

If you want to do 70 mph, and the left lane is clear, then use it. It isn't the "slow" lane there is no such thing. That gives two other lanes for others to pass, who's speedometers may also me showing 70mph due to differences in manufacture. Just because someone is overtaking, it doesn't mean they're hammering along.

Emergency services.

If you hog the middle lane, again creating the funnel/bottle neck, this narrows the "gap" they emergency services can "aim" for, because you are only giving one lane for others to overtake, increasing traffic concentration at that point.

If the left lane is free and you aren't overtaking something, then use it. It isn't difficult.

I am not advocating staying in the middle lane all day long, but, if I`m doing the speed limit anyway, I`m not prepared to be swapping lanes every 10 to 20 seconds just to make it easier for someone to break the law (sorry, overtake).

As mentioned before, I accept that speedos are usually about 5% fast, but even if someone is doing "only" 65mph in the centre lane that still doesn`t create a significant "bottle neck", assuming everyone is actually sticking to the law, i.e. the speed limit. Personally I do an indicated 75mph, which I know for a fact is bang on 70mph, and I still get the odd git up my rear end flashing me, or, more commonly, ostentatiously pulling right across into the inside lane, only to have to pull back out again within 5 seconds, which is why I didn`t bother pulling into the left hand lane in the first place. If they knew what a pillock they looked they wouldn`t do it.

Whatever is said on this thread, the fact that anyone wanting to pass you at more than 70mph is more in the wrong than someone who stays in the middle lane (even all day, not that I personally do that anyway) cannot be denied. Anyone who tries to argue the opposite is arguing that black is white, and looking silly to anyone who reads this thread, other than to others who are quite happy to break the law all day, obviously.

Edited by Justin Smith

I am not advocating staying in the middle lane all day long, but, if I`m doing the speed limit anyway, I`m not prepared to be swapping lanes every 10 to 20 seconds just to make it easier for someone to break the law (sorry, overtake).

As mentioned before, I accept that speedos are usually about 5% fast, but even if someone is doing "only" 65mph in the centre lane that still doesn`t create a significant "bottle neck", assuming everyone is actually sticking to the law, i.e. the speed limit. Personally I do an indicated 75mph, which I know for a fact is bang on 70mph, and I still get the odd git up my rear end flashing me, or, more commonly, ostentatiously pulling right across into the inside lane, only to have to pull back out again within 5 seconds, which is why I didn`t bother pulling into the left hand lane in the first place. If they knew what a pillock they looked they wouldn`t do it.

Whatever is said on this thread, the fact that anyone wanting to pass you at more than 70mph is more in the wrong than someone who stays in the middle lane (even all day, not that I personally do that anyway) cannot be denied. Anyone who tries to argue the opposite is arguing that black is white, and looking silly to anyone who reads this thread, other than to others who are quite happy to break the law all day, obviously.

Look at the money we could have saved..instead of paying for a 3 lane motorway system we could just have had 2...I'm surprised the government didn't think of it....why don't you let them know that you think it's the best use of a resource..

the fact that anyone wanting to pass you at more than 70mph is more in the wrong than someone who stays in the middle lane . . . . cannot be denied.
But here you admit that you are in the wrong staying in the middle lane.

Anyone who tries to argue the opposite is arguing that black is white, and looking silly to anyone who reads this thread, other than to others who are quite happy to break the law all day, obviously.
It is not your duty in life to block the middle lane in order to prevent other people from speeding. You're not a traffic Policeman, but seem determined to act like some kind of misguided road vigilante.

Causing traffic to bunch up into one lane is adding danger to the motorway. YOU are adding that danger.

Hundreds of drivers going past at 85mph may be technically illegal - nobody denies that - but is is the accepted norm on our motorways and the exception is the individual who sticks to 70mph, blocking the middle lane deliberately.

That is the person whose stubborn actions may well begin a chain of events that leads to an accident and death. But in his mind that's ok, he was only blocking the middle lane at 70mph. :loopy:

Hundreds of drivers going past at 85mph may be technically illegal - nobody denies that - but is is the accepted norm on our motorways and the exception is the individual who sticks to 70mph, blocking the middle lane deliberately.

That is the person whose stubborn actions may well begin a chain of events that leads to an accident and death. But in his mind that's ok, he was only blocking the middle lane at 70mph. :loopy:

So depending on your point of view could this be a valid argument then?

Hundreds of drivers blocking the middle lane may be wrong- nobody denies that - but is is the accepted norm on our motorways and the exception is the individual who is going past at 85mph

That is the person whose stubborn actions may well begin a chain of events that leads to an accident and death. But in his mind that's ok, going past at 85mph :loopy:

Playing devil's advocate of course