Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

So depending on your point of view could this be a valid argument then?

Playing devil's advocate of course

I see your point, but no - because it is the norm for people to crise at around 85mph, not to block the middle lane. The speed we do only becomes dangerous when there are differentials - caused by people blocking lanes, usually.

I see your point, but no - because it is the norm for people to crise at around 85mph, not to block the middle lane. The speed we do only becomes dangerous when there are differentials - caused by people blocking lanes, usually.

Differentials??? such as people wanting to cruise at 85mph and lorries that are restricted to 56mph in lane 1 :huh::huh:

Therein lies the problem, it really isn't the norm for people to cruise at 85mph. It's just that some choose to do it. Next time you're cruising count the number of cars you overtake, they're the ones who aren't doing it.

The same as drivers who don't pull over to the left when not overtaking, I'm sure they assume that everyone does it to them and it's the norm.

Edited by SnailyBoy

if we all abided by the law on the motor way there would be constant flow of traffic ( or would there ) the problem is that most drivers try to uphold the highway code stay in lane 1 overtake slow traffic in lane 2 and if a lorry is overtaking in lane 2 then move over to lane 3 sounds good "until" flash car comes up your backside flashing lights at you and sees a gap to undertake you before you can get in lane 2 ones self "just missed me " the clever person and he was on the phone (no police in sight )as usual some people in high powered cars think that they own the road and should move out of the way because they are more important than some lesser mortal in a vauxhall car

if we all abided by the law on the motor way there would be constant flow of traffic ( or would there ) the problem is that most drivers try to uphold the highway code stay in lane 1 overtake slow traffic in lane 2 and if a lorry is overtaking in lane 2 then move over to lane 3 sounds good "until" flash car comes up your backside flashing lights at you and sees a gap to undertake you before you can get in lane 2 ones self "just missed me " the clever person and he was on the phone (no police in sight )as usual some people in high powered cars think that they own the road and should move out of the way because they are more important than some lesser mortal in a vauxhall car

And that happens, what, a handful of times in a lifetime? I saved a white van full stoving into a motorway concrete barrier because I saw the whole "cut me off the road" maneuver, so I changed lanes out of their way. I'm just happy none of us were seriously injured or worse.

I don't think anyone is complaining about people who people who use the middle lane to overtake. That is what it is for.

It is people who just sit in that lane the whole time even if the inside lane is empty that are being criticised.

I still can't believe there are people on here who are defending the practice! :loopy:

John X

I often drive on motorways very late at night, i.e., after midnight. The motorways are usually very quiet at this time, with little traffic.

I can almost guarantee that whilst I'm doing 70mph in the left-hand lane, I'll catch up with a middle lane hogger doing less than 70mph. They appear to drive like this as if they if they own the whole motorway stretch and are seemingly oblivious to other road users who are catching up with them in the left-hand lane.

They are, in my opinion, simply :loopy:

I often drive on motorways very late at night, i.e., after midnight. The motorways are usually very quiet at this time, with little traffic.

I can almost guarantee that whilst I'm doing 70mph in the left-hand lane, I'll catch up with a middle lane hogger doing less than 70mph. They appear to drive like this as if they if they own the whole motorway stretch and are seemingly oblivious to other road users who are catching up with them in the left-hand lane.

100% Agree

100% Agree

I can`t quite understand why someone would drive in the middle lane if there`s literally nobody else on the road, but that doesn`t alter the fact that, officially, speeding is more serious than driving in the middle lane. Thus if a driver is in the middle lane doing the speed limit and the driver wanting to overtake him gets annoyed that he has to pull into the outside lane to do so, he`s being a tad hypocritical.

Having said all the above, I do actually return to the inside lane when I feel I can stay in there for a reasonable time, unless there`s a junction coming up because there`s a reasonable chance of vehicles joining the motorway down the slip road. But I`m not going to change lanes twice (into the inside lane then back out of it) just for 10 to 20 seconds, if I`m doing the bleedin` speed limit anyway, so nobody should be overtaking anyway........

Edited by Justin Smith

Having said all the above, I do actually return to the inside lane when I feel I can stay in there for a reasonable time, unless there`s a junction coming up because there`s a reasonable chance of vehicles joining the motorway down the slip road. But I`m not going to change lanes twice (into the inside lane then back out of it) just for 10 to 20 seconds, if I`m doing the bleedin` speed limit anyway, so nobody should be overtaking anyway........

****News Flash****

Cars joining a motorway should adjust their speed to merge into lane 1.

You really don't need to take the slip road into account with unnecessary lane changing into lane 2.