Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

I'd have to check the highway code, but what does it say about pulling back in after overtaking.

Surely the safe distance is the responsibility of the car (now) behind? And given that you are overtaking (and thus travelling faster) that gap will be increasing with every second anyway.

If it happens to you often then I suppose it suggests that you are being more cautious in pulling back over than many people expect (or believe justified). If it just happened once, then it was probably just some idiot.

That's what I apply to my own behaviour anyway, if just one person 'objects' then it's probably their expectation that is at fault. If several people 'object' (which in this case means undertaking) then I'd have to wonder if I was doing something wrong.

I'd assume it says something along the lines of not cutting up the car you've just overtaken..

I'd agree. It probably doesn't say that you should leave a 2 second gap though... There's quite a bit of space between leaving a 2 second braking gap and cutting someone up.

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake

use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out

not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle

move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance

give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

As soon as you can, but don't cut in... Suitably vague.

Edited by Cyclone

Suitably vague.
If in doubt...go with the honourable approach: don't do unto others, what you don't want them to do to you ;)

So, all circumstances taken into account (road, visibility, traffic, etc.), don't cause the car you have just overtaken, to have to brake when you complete the manoeuvre.

That's how I always approach overtaking, anyway.

If in doubt...go with the honourable approach: don't do unto others, what you don't want them to do to you ;)

So, all circumstances taken into account (road, visibility, traffic, etc.), don't cause the car you have just overtaken, to have to brake when you complete the manoeuvre.

Me too...pull in far enough in front of the overtaken vehicle so that it doesn't have to brake...

You have misread the post Max (or i didnt explain it properly)

I was already in the left hand lane as HGV's are only permitted to use lanes 1&2. Another truck overtook me in lane 2 and pulled in so soon that i had to brake to avoid the back end of his trailer from taking my NS front end off.

Perhaps the fog impaired his judgement or maybe he wasnt concentrating properly but technically, he was exercising proper lane discipline.... He could just have waited another couple of seconds. Thats all. :)

Ah, I see now. Thanks.

Same here.

But that doesn't entail leaving a full length 2 second braking gap before I pull in, particularly not in the case where I'm going faster than then (and why/how else would I be overtaking).

As most of the thread relates to motorway driving and lane changes on there, one thing I always meant to ask -and it's forever skipping my mind it's so trivial, so I'll ask now while I'm here :D- is how are people taught to drive on motorways over here, as regards adjusting speed?

I seem to recall that motorway driving tutition is (still?) not compulsory in the UK, nor examined on the day of the test, though lessons can be taken I'm sure.

As some on here may know (by now), I passed my test in France BITD and there, motorway driving tuition is compulsory (was a minimum of 1.5 hours when I did it) and, besides lane discipline (drive right, pass left, return to lane), the two cardinal rules are:

(i) merge at the speed of the traffic in the nearside lane (logic) and avoid causing any vehicles already on there to alter their course/speed; and

(ii) never use the brakes for adjusting speed (unless circumstances dictate, of course).

For those who have had UK m'way training, what's the word about these?

I'd have to check the highway code, but what does it say about pulling back in after overtaking.

Surely the safe distance is the responsibility of the car (now) behind? And given that you are overtaking (and thus travelling faster) that gap will be increasing with every second anyway.

If it happens to you often then I suppose it suggests that you are being more cautious in pulling back over than many people expect (or believe justified). If it just happened once, then it was probably just some idiot.

That's what I apply to my own behaviour anyway, if just one person 'objects' then it's probably their expectation that is at fault. If several people 'object' (which in this case means undertaking) then I'd have to wonder if I was doing something wrong.

It’s happened a couple of times (as my earlier post). Yes, I do tend towards the “if it happens once, it’s them, but if it happens a lot then it is likely to be me” school of thought.

I don’t agree with the idea that’s it’s just up to the person who has been overtaken to control the distance between him and the car in front, especially if the differential speed is quite low, which it often is on motorways. It is the overtaking vehicles responsibility to be a safe distance ahead before he pulls back in. If he is travelling a lot faster than the vehicle he is overtaking, its human nature to cut back in when closer, as the danger period until he is a safe distance ahead will be short. However, I don’t think it is correct.

In the situations I remember, I was overtaking within the speed limit, I hope, probably on cruise control as I often use it when I can, so it is likely. I wasn’t going a lot faster than the vehicle I was overtaking – I’m guessing around 10 mph faster. I do remember in one of the cases he was tailgating me at the same speed and then accelerated to undertake as I presume he got sick of waiting. That was the one where I had signalled my intention to change lanes, but he couldn’t be bothered to wait. In the other case, the other driver was driving faster than me as he came up behind me. I kept an eye on him, half expecting him to do what he did, so it wasn’t really a shock when he did.

I would say that, on the whole, I leave bigger spaces than do a lot of other drivers I see.