Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

The difference is its against the law to use a hard shoulder to drive on unless....

If you have been forced to go on a hard shoulder through emergency then you need to get off it safely somehow and theres only one way to do that which is to build up speed on it and then find a safe gap to rejoin the main carraigeway.

So in the scenario as was described that brought about this 'side track'... IE: Not being able to join a motorway travelling at speed... would that not constitute an 'emergency' and as such, stopping on the sliproad, which is far more dangerous for everyone concerned, be a better/safer alternative?

If thats what they teach you in driving lessons then im glad i didnt need any.

Thats debatable. :D

Giving people attitude isnt the way to make roads safer and while there is a growing number of idiots on the road,its far from everyone.

Who said anything about 'giving people attitude'? I didnt!

Regarding all other drivers as idiots is a round about way of being vigilant of other drivers doing something unpredictable... Thats all.

Edited by Mr_Squirrel
tryping errat

I know how to drive thanks very much.

Moving over to the inside lane when it is clear to do so is subjective.

If there`s nothing in the inside lane for a mile or more then do so.

If there`s a truck in there a few hundred yards ahead I`m not going to fart about changing lanes twice just so some arrogant git can break the speed limit without having to change lanes.

I agree, it's subjective, and you do have to make a judgement call when you can see that you would have to pull out again quite shortly.

Read back to what you said before though, it wasn't that you stay in the middle lane if you will be overtaking again in 10 or 20 seconds.

But let`s get this straight.

You`re saying that people who break the law speeding* aren`t being hypocritical by telling others to move over to the inside lane** every 5 to 10 seconds (or even move over at all come to that) ?

No, I certainly didn't say 5 or 10 seconds.

How does that work ? I find the inconsistency and the stench of hypocrisy nauseating.

That must be a problem, what with it wafting from you at the moment.

* Speeding = MUST / MUST NOT = "if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence"

** Move over to the left "when it is clear to do so" = should / should not = "advisory wording"

There is nothing more amusing, but also rather sad, than seeing people trying to argue that black is white......

Fortunately no one is arguing that. I am arguing that you should obey the highway code to the best of your abilities and stop worrying about whether other people are speeding. You are (hypocritically) arguing that you should only obey the bits that you find convenient.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 07:31 ----------

So in the scenario as was described that brought about this 'side track'... IE: Not being able to join a motorway travelling at speed... would that not constitute an 'emergency' and as such, stopping on the sliproad, which is far more dangerous for everyone concerned, be a better/safer alternative?

I'd agree that it would.

Thats debatable. :D

Who said anything about 'giving people attitude'? I didnt!

XT500 has an incredibly bad attitude when discussing driving, I can't imagine that it's any different when he's behind a wheel.

Having read many threads on the roads and spent a lot of time on the roads Ive come to the conclusion that its the drivers who have the least driving ability that carry the worst attitudes and the most likely to get into confrontations on the road and why wouldn't they?

If your of limited skills then you only have that to judge others which is often what happens but while they know they shouldn't be being obstructive they don't care,its just a game,one where they can vent their lifes failings on others who just want to make progress without some selfish numpty playing very dangerous games while thinking they can all of a sudden be a speed gun and judge others speed while using their own fast speedo to do it.

I would love retests every 10 years to be compulsory,then watch all the lane hoggers disappear off the roads after all if you don't know which lane to drive in or don't have the ability to change then you really shouldn't be there.

Ever wondered how its possible to have an accident on a motorway? How hard can it be to drive in a straight line?

My conclusion is its the very same people causing these incidents and if there was any interest in road safety at all which there isn't then lane hogging would be given the same publicity as speeding but it isnt.

I bet if u retested 10 middle lane hoggers 9 would fail there's always a lucky one .

Having read many threads on the roads and spent a lot of time on the roads Ive come to the conclusion that its the drivers who have the least driving ability that carry the worst attitudes and the most likely to get into confrontations on the road and why wouldn't they?

If your of limited skills then you only have that to judge others which is often what happens but while they know they shouldn't be being obstructive they don't care,its just a game,one where they can vent their lifes failings on others who just want to make progress without some selfish numpty playing very dangerous games while thinking they can all of a sudden be a speed gun and judge others speed while using their own fast speedo to do it.

I would love retests every 10 years to be compulsory,then watch all the lane hoggers disappear off the roads after all if you don't know which lane to drive in or don't have the ability to change then you really shouldn't be there.

Ever wondered how its possible to have an accident on a motorway? How hard can it be to drive in a straight line?

My conclusion is its the very same people causing these incidents and if there was any interest in road safety at all which there isn't then lane hogging would be given the same publicity as speeding but it isnt.

I bet if u retested 10 middle lane hoggers 9 would fail there's always a lucky one .

You come over as pretty calm and collected, I think you should do the testing. The roads would be a lot safer that way.

everyone hogs the middle lane fact

lets face it if everyone drove to speed limit on motorway they would be no need at all for middle lane are fast lane

No it's not a fact. During office hours when there are trucks and people who drive for a living on the road you tend to find the motorway works perfectly. I actually enjoy driving between the hours of about 9.30am-3pm.

It's only rush hour when the real lane hoggers come out. It is silly really I just cannot for the life of me understand why when the left lane is totally clear people wouldn't just go in it.

I have seen drivers join the motorway and then just plonk themselves straight in the middle lane I really don't get it :huh:

I often wonder who lane hoggers blame for unnessercary traffic jams.

Maybe a lane hogger can explain to us why when ever there is road works they stick to the middle lane at the side of the only other car for miles then refuse to move for anything behind them?

I bet when you ask these people if they are curtious drivers they would say yes!

No it's not a fact. During office hours when there are trucks and people who drive for a living on the road you tend to find the motorway works perfectly. I actually enjoy driving between the hours of about 9.30am-3pm.

It's only rush hour when the real lane hoggers come out. It is silly really I just cannot for the life of me understand why when the left lane is totally clear people wouldn't just go in it.

I have seen drivers join the motorway and then just plonk themselves straight in the middle lane I really don't get it :huh:

I beg to differ LOL … I work a twilight shift finishing at 2 am and often see a car on the M1 sat in the middle lane without another car in sight …. Am I really supposed to go from the left lane to the outside lane just to pass someone that obviously has no respect for the rules of the road or other road users?

I beg to differ LOL … I work a twilight shift finishing at 2 am and often see a car on the M1 sat in the middle lane without another car in sight …. Am I really supposed to go from the left lane to the outside lane just to pass someone that obviously has no respect for the rules of the road or other road users?

Yes this has also happened to me, I just undertake them, sometimes this makes them wake up and get in the correct lane, sometimes it has no effect whatsoever and even on the odd occasion they've had the cheek to flash their lights at me for doing it :rant:

everyone hogs the middle lane fact

lets face it if everyone drove to speed limit on motorway they would be no need at all for middle lane are fast lane

Writing fact doesn't make it true. The majority of drivers move to the left hand lane when there is space.

And you appear to have forgotten about lorries and other vehicles with different speed limits or capabilities.