Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

So the Government are thinking of making "middle laning" an offence ?

In the first place they`ll have to alter the Highway code because at the moment it`s just "advisory" to use the left hand lane "when it`s clear to do so". If they make it an offence they`ll then have to define it because "middle laning" is subjective. For instance, are you supposed to move over if you`re only going to be in the left hand lane for 3 seconds ? Or 5 seconds ? Or 10 seconds ?

I predict nothing will come of all this but if it does I`m very interested to see how the Highway Code defines "middle laning" and how the Police manage to get a prosecution to stick.

It`s all a load of tosh anyway, there are dozens of things on the roads which **** me off far more than people staying too long in the middle lane at 60mph, like ignorants with noisy exhausts for instance, I hate them with a passion, that`s already illegal but hardly any of the braindeads get done for it !

In the first place they`ll have to alter the Highway code because at the moment it`s just "advisory" to use the left hand lane "when it`s clear to do so". If they make it an offence they`ll then have to define it because "middle laning" is subjective. For instance, are you supposed to move over if you`re only going to be in the left hand lane for 3 seconds ? Or 5 seconds ? Or 10 seconds ?

I predict nothing will come of all this but if it does I`m very interested to see how the Highway Code defines "middle laning" and how the Police manage to get a prosecution to stick.

It`s all a load of tosh anyway, there are dozens of things on the roads which **** me off far more than people staying too long in the middle lane at 60mph, like ignorants with noisy exhausts for instance, I hate them with a passion, that`s already illegal but hardly any of the braindeads get done for it !

How much of a gap do you need before you would consider completing the overtaking manoeuvre?

Yeah but the highway code has undergone many changes over the years, it's no hardship to add a new regulation or two.

What people need to remember about the Highway code, is that it is just that - A Code of Practice. It does contain rules that must be adhered to... 'must do's' and 'Must not's' but overall, it is an official guideline to safe and courteous road use. It assumes that the road user holds a degree of common sense and can make decisions for themselves depending on circumstance. Unfortunately, too many people nowadays need to be told outright, what to do in every single situation.

What people need to remember about the Highway code, is that it is just that - A Code of Practice. It does contain rules that must be adhered to... 'must do's' and 'Must not's' but overall, it is an official guideline to safe and courteous road use. It assumes that the road user holds a degree of common sense and can make decisions for themselves depending on circumstance.

But non-compliance with it can form part of a prosecution, even so.

Non compliance with it would generally be indicative of driving without due care.

which is actually what they are planning to do you for, careless driving is what you would get the fixed penalty for, not driving in the middle lane.

whats the problem with a loud exhaust anyway, and since when were they illegal?

But non-compliance with it can form part of a prosecution, even so.

Non compliance with it would generally be indicative of driving without due care.

Indeed.

My point is that to some people, unless every eventuality is highlighted in bog bold lettering within the Highway code, they seem to think that common sense does not apply. IE: "The highway code didnt tell me that i must drive with my eyes open and that is why i crashed - its not my fault."

which is actually what they are planning to do you for, careless driving is what you would get the fixed penalty for, not driving in the middle lane.

whats the problem with a loud exhaust anyway, and since when were they illegal?

Taht would be the Constructions and Use Regulations, 1986 and the various EC Directives that followed on from that