Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

I'm a middle lane driver at busy times, usually because I'm travelling faster than the lorries and allowing people to join the motorway at junctions, so I can travel several miles in lane 2 and 3 simply due to the distance I have to travel and the slow moving traffic in lane 1.

However at non-busy times, I "drive to the left" when possible.

As said above, people driving in lane 2 when there is little traffic are annoying at best.

Judge me at your leisure.

I'm a middle lane driver at busy times, usually because I'm travelling faster than the lorries and allowing people to join the motorway at junctions, so I can travel several miles in lane 2 and 3 simply due to the distance I have to travel and the slow moving traffic in lane 1.

As said above, people driving in lane 2 when there is little traffic are annoying at best.

Nice to know some people still do that,a hell of a lot dont:rant:

Probably because the onus is on the driver joining the motorway to merge with the traffic, as per the Highway Code

Yes after 35 years of driving i do know that,however a bit of thoughful driving from others makes it much easier.

thats how its supposed to work though

I drive on motorways every day, the general middle lane drivers are fine, its the ones that drive in the middle who are oblivious to whats happening around them, especially when people in the driving lane (left lane) are going faster these are the ones that are a danger... As I said most people are driving correctly, I cover around 400 miles a day and probably see about 2 to 4 of what I call dangerous middle lane drivers a day, I also believe these are the cause of a lot of traffic jams as when someone has to break behind them thinking they will move over, this has a knock on effect on the cars behind you.

Nice to know some people still do that,a hell of a lot dont:rant:

You should match your speeds appropriatly when joining the motorway - you are moving into a live lane it's up to you to do it safely. The only time someone should have to make allowances is if it's a speed restricted vehicle like a lorry.

I beg to differ LOL … I work a twilight shift finishing at 2 am and often see a car on the M1 sat in the middle lane without another car in sight …. Am I really supposed to go from the left lane to the outside lane just to pass someone that obviously has no respect for the rules of the road or other road users?

Er, no you don`t. It`s actually comparatively rare to be on the M1 "without another car in sight". I`m not condoning someone being in the middle lane if the motorway really is that empty, but if there really are so few cars around then why don`t you just overtake him/her the outer lane ? Why get so upset about it ? ! ?

Far more common is being in the middle lane, wanting to return to the inside lane but there being slower moving vehicles in it every few hundred yards, or even every half mile. You know you`ll have to pull back out again within 10 to 20 seconds, so, particularly if you`re doing the speed limit anyway*, it`s just not worth farting about and possibly having to force your way back out into the middle lane.

* Let`s not forget, by definition, anyone overtaking you who is exceeding the speed limit is breaking the law, and therefore in a very weak (and hypocritical) position to be criticising "middle laners".

Edited by Justin Smith