Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

I thought middle lane hogging was made illegal last year?

or does it not count if you're doing the speed limit?

It was an offence with prosecution and court appearance the Police's only route to administer justice until recently.

Last year saw the a Police being granted the opportunity on a number of offences (including this one) to issue a ticket on the spot (a Traffic Offence Report as distinct from a FPN, as I understand it).

The news of TOR's has resulted in a number of vigilante, finger-wagging teacher/policeman types on the road. As has been said, they swoop in and out and typically back in again risking unnecessary vehicle instability, intimidation of other drivers AND prosecution themselves if they push it, whatever speed they do it at. The Police are not overly keen on vigilantes.

My definition of middle-lane hogging, for what it's worth: being in that lane for no good reason and not caring or not knowing what's behind you.

Yes if the inside lane is clear for a good distance in front of you should pull over,,but it is very rare on the motorways that the inside lane is not rammed with trucks doing the conga at 56mph for mile upon mile,you have no choice but to sit in the middle lane as to venture out into outside lane at less than 90 mph will result in a confrontation with some maniac up your tailpipe...

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 01:10 ----------

The left lane is the lane that everyone should be in except when over taking that's what I was taught anyway! You can't just drive wherever you fancy just because people are breaking the speed limit two wrongs don't make a right and in this case will cause an accident!

I've seen more accidents with cars dodging in and out of lane....

Edited by Lobos

If I'm doing seventy miles an hour in any lane and you overtake me you are the clueless twunt...

Is that how you justify being in the wrong lane?

And just how accurate do you believe your speedo is anyway?

If you find that you can't pull out when you're in the left hand lane, then you're probably failing to anticipate far enough ahead.

It was an offence with prosecution and court appearance the Police's only route to administer justice until recently.

Last year saw the a Police being granted the opportunity on a number of offences (including this one) to issue a ticket on the spot (a Traffic Offence Report as distinct from a FPN, as I understand it).

The news of TOR's has resulted in a number of vigilante, finger-wagging teacher/policeman types on the road. As has been said, they swoop in and out and typically back in again risking unnecessary vehicle instability, intimidation of other drivers AND prosecution themselves if they push it, whatever speed they do it at. The Police are not overly keen on vigilantes.

My definition of middle-lane hogging, for what it's worth: being in that lane for no good reason and not caring or not knowing what's behind you.

Ive yet to see one single case of a lane hogger being prosecuted via pcn or court.The police seem to be blind to it unless they are in THIER way.

Funny really i followed a marked car up a motorway not so long back and the lane hoggers vapourised themselfs which is proof that these people know what they are doing is wrong,but the chances of being caught is almost zero so they do it cos they can.

They have very low drivings skills but the worst bad attitudes on the roads and make all sort of excuses for doing it as you can see from this thread.

Is that how you justify being in the wrong lane?

And just how accurate do you believe your speedo is anyway?

If you find that you can't pull out when you're in the lef hand lane, then you're probably failing to anticipate far enough ahead.

What is your opinion of the wrong lane as you make that judgment to road conditions and traffic at the time what are you opinions of how the lanes should be used, what are you opinion of your own driving skills are you Mr perfect driver no one is in my opinion,I drive to the conditions and the traffic and I always try to drive legally,like I said I drive thousands of mile a week every week and I have no endorsements on my licence neither have I had any accidents in over 40 years of driving I have a class one HGV plus an ADR and hazchem licence..I think there is a lot more dangerous things to worry about on the roads than people stopping in the middle lane to long move on get over it you will get there in the same time,as for anticipating I find ignorant drivers don't give way drive tail to tail at ridiculous speeds with no braking distance I see it all day I just keep back from them and let them get on with it just don't get me involved in their stupid driving.

What is your opinion of the wrong lane as you make that judgment to road conditions and traffic at the time what are you opinions of how the lanes should be used, what are you opinion of your own driving skills are you Mr perfect driver no one is in my opinion,I drive to the conditions and the traffic and I always try to drive legally,like I said I drive thousands of mile a week every week and I have no endorsements on my licence neither have I had any accidents in over 40 years of driving I have a class one HGV plus an ADR and hazchem licence..I think there is a lot more dangerous things to worry about on the roads than people stopping in the middle lane to long move on get over it you will get there in the same time,as for anticipating I find ignorant drivers don't give way drive tail to tail at ridiculous speeds with no braking distance I see it all day I just keep back from them and let them get on with it just don't get me involved in their stupid driving.
That's all very nice but you are still wrong :(

If I'm doing seventy miles an hour in any lane and you overtake me you are the clueless twunt...

If the roads are clear, you should be in the slow lane, to allow other vehicles to overtake you.

If you're sat in the fast lane, just to prove a point and be a ********

That makes you the clueless twunt

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 17:42 ----------

Ive yet to see one single case of a lane hogger being prosecuted via pcn or court.The police seem to be blind to it unless they are in THIER way

My friends' mum got pulled over by the police for being in the middle lane on a clear motorway, this was some years back now.

I remember being amazed that they would be doing such things, at the time thinking that it was a minor road hazard.

Having had a few more motor driving miles on me now...lane hoggers are not only a pain in the feckin ass.....they ARE dangerous if people are forced to undertake them.

Ive yet to see one single case of a lane hogger being prosecuted via pcn or court.The police seem to be blind to it unless they are in THIER way.

Funny really i followed a marked car up a motorway not so long back and the lane hoggers vapourised themselfs which is proof that these people know what they are doing is wrong,but the chances of being caught is almost zero so they do it cos they can.

They have very low drivings skills but the worst bad attitudes on the roads and make all sort of excuses for doing it as you can see from this thread.

I saw this too on the M1 coming back from leeds a few weeks back. It was amazing how many drivers pulled into the left when they saw him! I dont suppose many drivers will take notice of the new rules because it seems todays drivers are in just too much of a hurry to get from A to B.

If the roads are clear, you should be in the slow lane, to allow other vehicles to overtake you.

If you're sat in the fast lane, just to prove a point and be a ********

That makes you the clueless twunt

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 17:42 ----------

My friends' mum got pulled over by the police for being in the middle lane on a clear motorway, this was some years back now.

I remember being amazed that they would be doing such things, at the time thinking that it was a minor road hazard.

Having had a few more motor driving miles on me now...lane hoggers are not only a pain in the feckin ass.....they ARE dangerous if people are forced to undertake them.

There is no slow lane, or fast lane.you drive on the left unless overtaking. All lanes have the same speed limit.

There is no slow lane, or fast lane.you drive on the left unless overtaking. All lanes have the same speed limit.

I was talking to a lorry driver and he told me its perfectly legal to undertake a middle lane hogger on the inside, provided you are already in the inside lane and stay in it once passed.