Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

He didn`t overtake me. Quite apart from anything else I wasn`t even driving, but my friend who was driving was in the middle lane because she`d just overtaken a slower moving vehicle.

On the undertaking thing I couldn`t disagree with you more, undertaking is dangerous* and indicates impatience and/or aggression plus ignorance of the rules of the road, both of which are sure signs of the kind of driver who shouldn`t be on the road. And, in this instance, the Blue Passat driver trying to "educate" other drivers as to correct driving (in his view) would then have been totally inconsistent and hypocritical.

* The only exception being if you`re in a queue of cars going past another queue of cars which are doing significantly less than the speed limit due to congestion, and you`re going past them relatively slowly.

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 13:34 ----------

Surely that depends on the speed they`re driving at ?

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 13:38 ----------

Please supply a direct quote of mine where I said I preferred to drive in the middle lane (i.e. as a matter of course), otherwise kindly retract your comment.

If there`s a 2 second gap between two cars and you pull into it, there`s only a 1 second gap between each of the cars then (assuming you pull in bang in the middle of the gap, and we ignore the length of your car, which actually makes it less than 2 x 1 seconds)

We've all seen your endless comments about driving, I'm not trawling back through the hundreds of comments on tens of threads to find the particular quote.

You shouldn't pull into a gap 2 seconds wide, I agree, that's someone else's safe breaking zone.

Middle lane hoggers wouldn't ever even consider pulling into such a small gap though, they're happy to sit in the middle lane for 30 seconds or a minute or far longer, with no car insight in the left hand lane at all.

No. If you hog the middle lane then you take up the space of two cars i.e. your own and the one that in't on your inside. On a four lane stretch where the middle laners seem to like the third lane it is even worse.

^^^ Correct.

Sunday was an eye opener. There were stretches where lanes 2 and 3 were busy but there was nothing in lane one, literally as far as the eye could see. If I wanted to overtake any of the lane 2 dawdlers I'm moving from 1 to 3 then back to 1. I had one overtake me at night and stay in lane 2 and there was literally nothing else on the road at all.

Never a copper around when you need one.

If I'm on my own and circumstances are clear (daytime, dry, straight stretch, very light traffic and emergency lane is free of any obstruction and debris as far as the eye can see) I don't bother with 1>2>3>2>1 for 1 middle lane dawdler anymore, I just undertake (promptly: I will accelerate a little to complete manoeuvre asap, then resume earlier cruising speed).

Rule of thumb is as to what then happens is

• 7 times out of 10, the dawdler moves into lane 1, literally within seconds of my having gone by (when they'd been sitting in the middle lane for a good minute or longer beforehand).
  • 2 times out of 10 the dawdler then speeds up and overtakes me again (having gone from less than 77 to significantly >80 for the purpose). And then stays in the middle lane (only to eventually slow down again, and be undertaken again :rolleyes:)
  • 1 time out of 10 the dawdler hoots and/or flashes their headlights and/or does anything similarly pointless and stupid. And then stays in the middle lane

If I'm on my own and circumstances are clear (daytime, dry, straight stretch, very light traffic and emergency lane is free of any obstruction and debris as far as the eye can see) I don't bother with 1>2>3>2>1 for 1 middle lane dawdler anymore, I just undertake (promptly: I will accelerate a little to complete manoeuvre asap, then resume earlier cruising speed).

• 7 times out of 10, the dawdler moves into lane 1, literally within seconds of my having gone by (when they'd been sitting in the middle lane for a good minute or longer beforehand).
  • 2 times out of 10 the dawdler then speeds up and overtakes me again (having gone from less than 77 to significantly >80 for the purpose). And then stays in the middle lane (only to eventually slow down again, and be undertaken again :rolleyes:)
  • 1 time out of 10 the dawdler hoots and/or flashes their headlights and/or does anything similarly pointless and stupid. And then stays in the middle lane

thats a very accurate description of what i do and see also, what is it are they afraid of the left hand lane

I do similarly and observe similarly to you. Good post. :love:

Yep, same here, and roughly same observations. Don't think I've ever noticed a horn being used though.

Do you eyeball them as you pass on the left?

Do you eyeball them as you pass on the left?
The other car, yes, constantly, and always...in the expectation that the driver will do something stupid, like pull over, out of absent-mindedness or vindictiveness.

The extent of my "teaching" is the undertake. If the other driver gets it, good. If the other driver doesn't, so what. I'm not that desperate to provoke a bout of road rage ;)

I meant to try to make eye contact with the driver specifically.
What for?

Given the manoeuvre, I prefer to keep concentrating on what I'm doing and surrounding circumstances.

It's nearly always impossible as they are sat staring rigidly ahead, hunched slightly forward over the steering wheel and gripping it very tightly.
However that is also my general observation, whenever I've happened to glance.

Not everybody enjoys driving or is able to relax when driving.