Motorways, "middle lane hoggers" ?

I was fortunate enough to have a couple of extra lessons from the AA not long after passing my test. They were running a scheme for new drivers who were nervous or had had an accident, and it was free. The instructor took me on the motorway, because that was my main area I was lacking in, and I learnt a lot in those two lessons. I think it would be useful to everyone, since motorway driving is not part of the preparations for the driving test.

I don't particularly like driving on the motorway, but at least now I know how to do it correctly :)

I think you'll find they shouldn't even be on the motorway

It was set at 60 but a European directive which came into force in the 90s requires them to be limited to 56 mph - 80 kph. Some haulage firms are even testing 52mph limiters to further save fuel.

I was fortunate enough to have a couple of extra lessons from the AA not long after passing my test. They were running a scheme for new drivers who were nervous or had had an accident, and it was free. The instructor took me on the motorway, because that was my main area I was lacking in, and I learnt a lot in those two lessons. I think it would be useful to everyone, since motorway driving is not part of the preparations for the driving test.

I don't particularly like driving on the motorway, but at least now I know how to do it correctly :)

Adding a ounce of seriousness to the thread, I do too. I really don't understand why motorway driving (or at least NSL dual carriageway driving) and driving at night are not tested as part of the driving test. Motorway driving is so different to many other types of roads you go on, I've seen people STOP on the sliproad trying to join and wait for a gap! If that isn't dangerous then I have no idea what is...your awareness needs to be different on a motorway, if you are one of those middle lane hoggers, you need to be aware both left and right of cars at speed, something you wouldn't really get anywhere else.

Adding a ounce of seriousness to the thread, I do too. I really don't understand why motorway driving (or at least NSL dual carriageway driving) and driving at night are not tested as part of the driving test. Motorway driving is so different to many other types of roads you go on, I've seen people STOP on the sliproad trying to join and wait for a gap! If that isn't dangerous then I have no idea what is...your awareness needs to be different on a motorway, if you are one of those middle lane hoggers, you need to be aware both left and right of cars at speed, something you wouldn't really get anywhere else.
Testing driving at night compulsorily is impractical, as that would either limit the testing hours (during which surrounding traffic would not necessarily be representative of normal levels during the test at all) or require time-splitting of the test (admin overhead/nightmare, effectively doubling the number of test instances required).

But I have long argued that testing dual carriage driving (and motorway if sufficiently close to exam centre/location) should be compulsorily in the UK. It has been compulsory in France for decades (tuition and testing). I was tested twice on the motorway ("pre-license" for driving only with nominated driver, then full license once of age) and that was over 25 years ago.

However a part of the tuition devoted to driving at night should be made compulsory.

Testing driving at night compulsorily is impractical, as that would either limit the testing hours (during which surrounding traffic would not necessarily be representative of normal levels during the test at all) or require time-splitting of the test (admin overhead/nightmare, effectively doubling the number of test instances required).

But I have long argued that testing dual carriage driving (and motorway if sufficiently close to exam centre/location) should be compulsorily in the UK. It has been compulsory in France for decades (tuition and testing). I was tested twice on the motorway ("pre-license" for driving only with nominated driver, then full license once of age) and that was over 25 years ago.

However a part of the tuition devoted to driving at night should be made compulsory.

Let me rephrase...driving at night should be a mandatory lesson with an approved instructor who must be able to give evidence that lesson took place. Perhaps even the cost of that lesson is included in your testing fees so people don't feel like are getting stung?

I did indeed say something I didn't mean! Motorway driving - tested. Night driving - mandatory lesson. I think we agree :D

Let me rephrase...driving at night should be a mandatory lesson with an approved instructor who must be able to give evidence that lesson took place. Perhaps even the cost of that lesson is included in your testing fees so people don't feel like are getting stung?

I'd agree with that. I learnt to drive in winter so was luckily taught night driving and driving in snow and icy conditions.

There should be more road testing, than just one hour. Your experience in France sounds like a good one.

The Government could lower the tax on fuel, but make motoring more expensive via more testing.

There should be more road testing, than just one hour. Your experience in France sounds like a good one.
One hour used to be appropriate, maybe it still is (subject however to modern/current levels of traffic, which could result in more time required to test various road scenarios).

FWIW the compulsory tuition I underwent aged 16 for my "pre-license" (the formal expression is "Conduite Accompagnée") was the exact same as if I was learning/going for a normal license aged 18 or older, and was around 20 or 22 hours IIRC.

In that was: car operation, reversing (incl. round bends), city driving, road driving, motorway driving, overtaking (on each of road and motorway, and yes that included performing real-life actual overtakes on a single carriage lane A or B road), parking (parallel, series, cantilevered), hill starts and descents, basic car maintenance (checking oil, water, pressure, etc. incl.changing a wheel and a light bulb), and more I've forgotten I'm sure - plus the theory, of course.

That was the basic compulsory stuff (buy extra lessons if you don't catch on fast enough), and the same theory and driving license tests for 16ers as for 'full license' sitters (FWIW again, I recall that I just bought an hour lesson before sitting my full license at 18, to pick up on and correct any bad habits that I might have developed in the preceding 2 years).

AFAIR, the driving test itself included at least some city driving, some motorway driving, parking at least once and a reversing exercise. And you'd usually sit it with another one or two candidates in the car, taking turns (no pressure, lads :D).

AFAIK, it's not changed much at all.

Edited by L00b

I did indeed say something I didn't mean! Motorway driving - tested. Night driving - mandatory lesson. I think we agree :D

Handy for people who live in Boston etc... :)