How do i register as a contractor so can do contract work?

I had a call from an agency earlier offering me some contract IT work (2 whole days!) He asked if I had done contract work before which I have not, he said he would speak with payroll and get back to me, he never called back!

I am guessing that setting me up on the companies payroll system for 2 days work was not worth the effort so to stop me missing out on such an amazing opportunity next time I guess I need to set myself up as a contractor.

So how do I do it?

Cheers

:)

There are a few options, but for 2 days work I doubt any would be worth it...

The simpler one would be to use an umbrella company.

http://www.itcontractor.com/Contractor_Services_IR35/service.asp?category=Umbrella+Companies

I've never used one and don't normally recommend it, but you wouldn't want to register a limited company, pay for insurance, have to file accounts and tax returns and all the rest to make £600.

Which would be fine if they'd hire you on that basis. Most companies wouldn't though.

Maybe I don't understand, but why would't they? Providing that you inform HMRC at the year end and have public liability insurance, surely you are not doing anything underhand and can take any self employed work that comes along.

There are a few options, but for 2 days work I doubt any would be worth it...

The simpler one would be to use an umbrella company.

http://www.itcontractor.com/Contractor_Services_IR35/service.asp?category=Umbrella+Companies

I've never used one and don't normally recommend it, but you wouldn't want to register a limited company, pay for insurance, have to file accounts and tax returns and all the rest to make £600.

do't do it pal odds are you will be fighting to get your money....:mad::mad:

I had a call from an agency earlier offering me some contract IT work (2 whole days!) He asked if I had done contract work before which I have not, he said he would speak with payroll and get back to me, he never called back!

I am guessing that setting me up on the companies payroll system for 2 days work was not worth the effort so to stop me missing out on such an amazing opportunity next time I guess I need to set myself up as a contractor.

So how do I do it?

Cheers

:)

don't do it pal odds are you will be fighting to get your cash off them...:mad::mad:

Maybe I don't understand, but why would't they? Providing that you inform HMRC at the year end and have public liability insurance, surely you are not doing anything underhand and can take any self employed work that comes along.

You might be right, the agencies involved will probably be most interested in you having the correct insurance and a bank account they can make payment too.

The insurance will cost as much as to make a few days work worthless though, and smaller agencies may well think that the situation is so unusual that they refuse to work with you. Just on the basis that they always work with either limited companies or umbrellas.

do't do it pal odds are you will be fighting to get your money....:mad::mad:

That's unlikely, the larger umbrella's are pretty reliable from what I've heard, and I do know people that use them. You just end up paying more tax and for their services, so it's less efficient than having an ltd.

Hi neeeeeeeeeek,

The odd 2 days here and there can soon add up to a healthy source of income - and because you can take the work on as and when you are available - in a lot of ways you are in control. Bearing this in mind it's important that you make sure you are following the relevant tax, insurance and business guidelines meaning that you don't end up in a spot of bother. If you have a look at the knowledge section of the simply business home page there is a good guide on setting up as an IT contractor. I work for a business insurer so if you have any questions regarding the various types of cover please feel free to contact me via this post or a private message.

Kind Regards

Tim

Archived