Will the NHS treat a British Citizan who's visiting from Canada?

I was upin Canada during the summer, St Andrews NB and was taken ill. My wife called an ambulance which cost me 750 canadian dollars. Why don't you write to your government you Canadaians and remind them of the NHS which looks after it's visitors.

No more Canada for me.

And you didn't buy travel insurance?

I was in the same position as yourself a couple of yrs ago, Roy. I checked into it. You not only have to be a British Citizen to be covered under NHS but also to have resided in the UK for the preceding 6 mo. (or 1y -don't remember). There is a residency requirement.

That said, I had cause to visit a doctor during my visit and have never received a bill because either the nhs is ineffiecient or the front line people aren't aware of the residency requirement.

I advise taking out travel insurance, though even that won't cover a pre-existing condition.

i lived on the MANOR from 1936 - 1959 then moved to Birmingham.

Came to canada 1976. regards Roy

If you are importing a problem No No..If you have a problem whilst there Yes Yes.. Be careful..you wont pull wool over their eyes.... I had the experience>>

Come to think of it now, I've been in the ER at Halamshire Hospital twice while visiting Sheffield over the past years ,they never asked me one question, never asked for an ID, nothing, I never thought about it until now, what do you have to show them anyhow when getting treated :confused:

Come to think of it now, I've been in the ER at Halamshire Hospital twice while visiting Sheffield over the past years ,they never asked me one question, never asked for an ID, nothing, I never thought about it until now, what do you have to show them anyhow when getting treated :confused:
I was in London..Had to show proof of citizenship/ Passport. And proof I was on British pension..That was in 2008..The hospital contacted the pensions dept and all was fine

i Have tried but can not get intouch with nhs.can anyone tell me for shore.

i was born in england have always had a uk passport. if i make a trip back to uk will i be covered by NHS.

This website gives clear information. http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374

It would appear that the criteria for free treatment is based on your normal residency. So treatment by the NHS in the UK for British Citizens who live abroad isn't free. You may be lucky and not get charged - but on the other hand, you may be asked to provide proof of residency.

From the website:

Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and National Insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence. The only thing relevant is whether you ordinarily live in the UK.

Archived