Will the NHS treat a British Citizan who's visiting from Canada?

HI rogG, what i was told by my travel agent once i step on the plane iam not covered BC MEDICAL.

You might want to check with your provincial health dept., roy, rather than a travel agent. That's what I did. Seems strange to me that a poorer province such as pei would provide better protection than bc.

You might want to check with your provincial health dept., roy, rather than a travel agent. That's what I did. Seems strange to me that a poorer province such as pei would provide better protection than bc.

Also the people to ring is the British Pensions I have seen it in writing but can;find the leaflet on, different subject I phone them two weeks ago re-what does my wife get on my demise and the answer is 60% of my pension so i can now go in peace know she will get the grand total of $150 per month :D:D:D

Hi rogG. what kind medical do you get in PEI.

ROY.

Provincial plan. I think it's called Health PEI, but I would think the benefits are much the same country wide. The provinces have to toe the line to conform to the National Health Act, or whatever it's called. When we lived in Nfld it was exactly the same. They covered me up to the cost of the equivalent service in that province. I am a Canadian citizen. I'm guessing you are too?

Will OHIP or any other Provincial Health program treat a Canadian Citizen visiting from the US?

The short answer is no,on retiring I was thinking of moving from Ontario to N.S and the answer i got was you have to have paid into that province's heath plan for three months now I would be on by the province i was leaving for the same 3 months, I get the feeling a lot are mixing up citizenship with heath plans

The short answer is no,on retiring I was thinking of moving from Ontario to N.S and the answer i got was you have to have paid into that province's heath plan for three months now I would be on by the province i was leaving for the same 3 months, I get the feeling a lot are mixing up citizenship with heath plans

I can't answer your question, Gerry, but I have to correct Flyer. If you move from province to province within Canada, the province you have moved from will pick up any medical costs until you have settled into your new province for whatever period is required (3 months sounds about right), then your new province covers you. Thus, when I moved from Nfld to PEI, I was covered by the Nfld plan (MCP) for the initial period of my residency in PEI. OHIP and all the other provincial plans work the same way. But, I don't know abt a Canadian Citizen who has resided in the US moving bk to Canada.

I can't answer your question, Gerry, but I have to correct Flyer. If you move from province to province within Canada, the province you have moved from will pick up any medical costs until you have settled into your new province for whatever period is required (3 months sounds about right), then your new province covers you. Thus, when I moved from Nfld to PEI, I was covered by the Nfld plan (MCP) for the initial period of my residency in PEI. OHIP and all the other provincial plans work the same way. But, I don't know abt a Canadian Citizen who has resided in the US moving bk to Canada.

Thank you too rogC

Archived