Question about racism

Perhaps, but what of people who have never considered themselves racist, and never said or expressed any racist views, for most of their lives until they move into a different area and try to live next door to people from immigrant cultures?

I don't think there are many people (except for the braindead chav dullard types mentioned earlier) who are racist by definition - actually disliking people on the basis of their colour or race, but I do think that the majority of people in this country have, at least to a small extent, some concerns or reservations over cultural differences. I don't think that makes them racist.

I moved from an area of Scotland that was practically all white and Scottish, to Doncaster in 1970. We rented a house near the railway plant works, it was a poor area, but I found it exciting to meet people from different backgrounds. Our first next door neighbours there were a Jamaican family, and seeing our tiny daughters together was a joy. The area was fairly multicultural, Irish, African, West Indian, Indian, Pakistani and of course English and Scots. The best friend I made there was from Jersey! We never had a problem with any of the people there - most of us were poor, and we just got along.

When we were eventually able to buy a house, we moved to a mining village. But not for long. It was insular and I wasn't happy with the school, (some 70s teaching methods were very odd) so we moved again, and in the area where we settled there were other non local people, including a few from Asian backgrounds - many of their children stood out in the local school as high achievers. The catchment area for my kids' secondary included the town centre, and that was fairly multi racial too. All good experience for them in being open minded and accepting of people being different. And I'm proud that they've grown up with that attitude.

I moved from an area of Scotland that was practically all white and Scottish, to Doncaster in 1970. We rented a house near the railway plant works, it was a poor area, but I found it exciting to meet people from different backgrounds. .

Would that have been Hexthorpe, I used to work there.

Wiki describes the area pretty much as you remember it-

“There is a large ethnic background in the area, with residents from China, Kosavo, India and Pakistan, Turkey and Jamaica living in the area”

You`re not born racist, you`re taught to be it. Blame the parents.

Load of Bull sh*t, all the racists who've been suicide bombing, flying planes into buildings, planning to set shoe bombs of on planes, blowing up london busses and tube trains were all adults who should be able to think for themselves.

Load of Bull sh*t, all the racists who've been suicide bombing, flying planes into buildings, planning to set shoe bombs of on planes, blowing up london busses and tube trains were all adults who should be able to think for themselves.

You are everything that you have encountered. it's what makes you. It's whole thing born bad or made bad. People are brainwashed / influenced everyday into doing things they may not normally do.

You are everything that you have encountered. it's what makes you. It's whole thing born bad or made bad. People are brainwashed / influenced everyday into doing things they may not normally do.

My dad liked Bing Crosby, it didn't make me like him, the reason being that unlike racist suicide bombers I can think for myself.

Did I say encountering something makes you that thing ???

I said you are shaped by the things around you.

I am glad you had such a good upbringing and that everything in your life taught you and shaped you to think for yourself. Well done to you, you must have got to that stage all on your own.

Archived